You Are Not Your Grades

You Are Not Your Grades

Don't let your GPA define you
17

The constant pressure to perform is everywhere, but I think most of us can agree that the pressure is especially alive in academics. At the beginning of each semester I, like most, start off by creating a goal to work toward. Throughout the semester the tests, papers and projects that stand in the way of reaching that goal constantly challenge me. By the time exams come around, I am beat down and don’t always reach my goal. As frustrated as I get with myself in the moment, I look back and remember that I am not my GPA.

There are so many other things in my life that define us other than a certain letter or number. We need to remember that as humans we cannot always be perfect. Although it is great to try and get that 4.0 GPA, sometimes we fall short. Just because school may not come easy or you struggle to perform to the best of your ability doesn’t mean that you are stupid. I have met more people that had a GPA lower than a 2.5 who were some of the most intelligent people I’ve ever encountered.

Tests tend to show you the results of how much you prepare for a set amount of material, but your GPA doesn’t show you who you are as a person. Your GPA doesn’t show you the amount of life skills you have. Your GPA doesn’t show you the amount of love you have in your heart. And at the end of the day, it’s not your GPA that matters, but those other assets.

As we enter into another semester, remember that. Of course it’s okay to strive for greatness, but if you fall short don’t be so hard on yourself because you aren’t your grades. As a wise man once said, “Reach for the moon because even if you miss you will land upon the stars.”