New York State Of Mind

New York State Of Mind

The city never sleeps and neither will you.

15
New York State Of Mind
Grayline.com

Ah, yes. Another article about America's shiny, hustling, bustling, pride and joy. Of course reading an article about New York is like reading an article about a Tinder date gone wrong -- there's tons of them out there. But there is just something about that city that captures you. Here are some things to consider if you plan on making a trip to the big city.

First off, New York is probably the only city in America that makes you feel alone and crowded, all at the same time. In the beginning, you're the typical tourist. You're an outsider. You know it, the New Yorkers know it, everyone knows it. So it takes a while to get a hold of things. I was there for 7 days and by the fourth day, I could feel myself adapting, quickly. You will get bumped into at least 27 times when walking down the city sidewalk and eventually, you'll realize that saying, "Sorry," every time it happens is pointless.

Also, stay out of the bike lane! At times, the sidewalk may be very crowded and you may just want to be like, "Oh, let me just step on over here to this bike lane real quick." No. Do not do it! You will get ran over, either by an angry biker, or a car because neither stop for anything. The subway will be your safe haven, to an extent. Now, you may encounter some human feces from the homeless and if you're like me, you'll gag trying not to throw up on the platform. Or if you're like some other people, you'll want to take selfies with it -- definitely not my suggestion. That's gross. When you do get on the subway, though, try to find a seat. It's a much more comfortable ride. It will get very crowded, especially during rush hour. Most likely, someone will bump into the wrong person and you'll find yourself trapped between people, about to witness an MMA fight. Just don't look at anyone and you'll be fine. As bad as It sounds so far, the subway really will be your best friend. It's a faster transportation and you get to sit! Unless you like walking 20 miles a day, take advantage of the time you get to sit!

One of the things that is worth it is? The food! Oh my goodness, the food is amazing. From the pizza slices to cheesecake, it's all great! Now, I made it apparent that I wanted to try everything. So when I got the chance to try a NYC cannoli, hot dog, pizza slice and Bantam Bagel all in the same block? Yes please, sign me up. Even if you're not a fan of most foods, you can still find something that you will like; there are millions of options.

Shopping? There are stores everywhere. Finding a good one shouldn't be a problem. I would recommend SOHO, just because I fell in love with it the instant I saw it. The fashion, the cute little boutiques from small business owners, the culture -- it was all right up my alley. There are obviously plenty of other places to go, too, depending on what you like. Chelsea is pretty historical, Time Square if you're feeling touristy, Upper East Side if you're feeling fancy and if you're a "Friends" fan like me, take a visit to Greenwich Village. You might just stumble upon the Friends apartment.

All in all, a trip to New York is definitely one you should take. The experience is like no other -- and you just might meet a celebrity or two.