Controversy behind yoga and religion.

Yoga Is Not Demonic, It's Good For Your Body

While yoga might taboo for some, there is nothing wrong with a little more stretching and self-care.

48
https://www.pexels.com/photo/group-of-women-lying-on-yoga-mat-under-blue-sky-1375883/

After hearing through the Christian grapevine about the "dangers of yoga" I am shocked at the ignorance in this idea.

The goal of yoga is to unite the body, mind, and soul creating peacefulness. There are many studies suggesting the health benefits of yoga. Yoga can improve respiratory problems, increase flexibility, help weight loss, keep the body protected from injury, and so much more. Taking care of the body is a biblical principal.

The Bible states, "Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Meditation is also biblically scriptural and beneficial to the Christain faith. "Jesus tells us that when we pray, we should pray in solitude and with few words (Matthew 6:5-8). His ministry, Christ often withdrew from His disciples for hours to be alone with God (Luke 5:16). He was gone for hours, but praying with few words—He was meditating."Should Christians Do Yoga

This belief shows a deep misunderstanding in the church. Religion Yoga is about stretching and taking care of the body God gave you. You could say eating a Big Mac is more sacrilegious than practicing yoga. Chew on that.

Yoga does have Hindi origins, but intentions of the practice are up to the individual. Not all yoga involves the Hinduism practice. In fact, most modern day yoga classes are not.

As an avid churchgoer, Jesus worshiper, and yoga class attendant I think its silly to think that yoga could negatively impact my spirituality. In fact, yoga usually centers my focus and allows me to be fully present. This 'in the moment' mindset helps transition into better relationships and a healthier outlook on life.

After starting yoga 3 years ago my flexibility has improved, energy levels have heightened and overall I feel healthier. Other than coffee it is my favorite way to start the day, and it hasn't influenced my spiritual relationship with God in the slightest.