Yes, I See A Therapist, No, I'm Not Crazy

Stay open to possibilities- and your direction in life will be so much clearer.

143
Brooke Albright

"So, How are you feeeling today?" those words spewing out of her mouth, and I lean back onto the sofa, and ponder about what has been going on in my life. She tosses over a box of tissues as my eyes fill up. She taps her lips with her ball point pen followed by a scribble in her notebook. It's like I can hear her scribbles from a mile away. "I'm ok," I say, staring up at the ceiling "just ok".

I've always been really open about what has been going on in my head. I never held back- but for some reason, I still felt trapped. Therapy has never been an answer for me when I was younger because I simply didn't know I needed it. But now, I often wonder how I went without.

My mom got a job in a therapist office a few years ago. I instantly fell in love with the things she told me about going to therapy and how awesome it was to work with people who can turn other's lives around with just one session. She always made it known that it was ok to seek therapy as a way out. So, when I decided that I needed a "way out", choosing to see a therapist was my getaway. Although it has only been a month or two, I honestly can see my life turning around for the better. But, the only thing that bothers me is the way that society looks at going to see a therapist.

Ok, there is a sofa, with a dimmed room, but no one said that you have to lay back -- just be comfortable and taking will feel comfortable too. Just like they say that true love isn't like the movies, either is speaking to a therapist. There is no pen and paper- they are simply there to listen, and help you figure out the scribbles in your head, not you figure out the scribbles on their pad.

Just because you go to therapy doesn't mean that there is something seriously wrong with you. Therapy is beneficial to everyone-- even the people that you think are the happiest. Everyone has something to talk about. We need to start by debunking the stereotype that individuals that go to therapy are "weak" or "crazy". It is a proven fact that individuals that reach out for help and notice that they are struggling are actually the strongest.

You're not paying someone to be your friend. Therapists are trained individuals who make you feel comfortable talking to them about anything-- whereas friends aren't trained and sometimes really don't know the right thing to say. You're not just going into a session ready to get advice out of therapists. Rather, they help you establish goals and track your progress reaching those said goals. Clicking with a therapist is harder than clicking with a friend. Finding the best fit is crucial in this journey of therapy and "getting better". So, if you think that therapy is a waste of time, try different therapists and I guarantee you will change your mind. With that being said, therapists are not going to change your life and take the enjoyment out of life, and make you into a goal setting machine. They respect the choices that you make and do not make decisions for their clients.

"Hey, what's going on? How was your weekend" smiling, she takes her seat and waits patiently for my answer. "Nothing, just went to the shore with friends" I sit on the sofa, it feels comfier than before. "So, what do you want to talk about today"....I ponder, smiling I'm ready to completely crush this session.

Therapy is something I look forward to every week. I seriously will never think that it's something to be ashamed, or nervous about. Just knowing that they're there to help will help ease you to lounge back on the couch-- and speak to them like they are a friend. It has helped me really understand myself, and actually like who I am. It's my "safe place" and where I am accepted for who I really am. I'm not going to let silly stereotypes make me feel ashamed of that. Stay open to possibilities- and your direction in life will be clear.