Yes I Get It, My Room Is A Mess

What do you get when you combine two weeks of laundry with old coffee mugs and a half eaten Poptart on the nightstand? No, this isn’t a riddle meant to teach you the errors of your ways. This is a description of my bedroom. Yes, it’s messy. Yes, I should throw away that other half of that Poptart. Yes, half of my sheets are on the floor. But no, I will not be changing this anytime soon because this unkempt room is the perfect analogy for my life.

I’m busy. I attend the University of Michigan–we’re all busy. If you aren’t in class, the Ugli, or Skeeps you’re probably at a club meeting or discovering a new microorganism. This is what makes the University of Michigan so special to me. This isn’t high school anymore where it’s cool to skip class and slack on homework. We have all been given the opportunity to attend one of the best universities in the world and no one is taking that for granted. So, sorry I didn’t get a chance to tidy up I was busy dealing with the public relations for KGrams and making a difference in elementary school students lives.

That heaping pile of clothes piled on my desk isn’t just a pile of clothes. The pile may be large and overwhelming but I know what is on that desk. If you asked me where my Patagonia Vest is I would tell you it’s in the near middle of the pile. If you ask me where my favorite mauve nail polish is, I know the answer. You see, this pile of clothes is just like my life. To others it may seem chaotic and unorganized but not to me. I know every article of clothing, necklace, and nail polish that is scattered across the desk. From an outsiders view my life may appear to be turbulent but to me, its just another adventure waiting to be gone through and put away.

When walking into my room you may ask yourself why is there a hair blow dryer, a pair of black pumps, and 3 textbooks in Taylor’s bed? To which you should answer yourself, she is a multi-tasker. I don’t have time to just be blow-drying my hair. I need to be blow-drying my hair, catching up on my psychology readings and putting on my shoes and I need to be doing so simultaneously.

I’m an optimist and that makes be believe I always have time to do one more thing before I run out the door. Being an optimist doesn’t mean I’m not a realist, this just means I realize I need to be doing that one extra thing while I do thirty-seven other things. Interview in 20 minutes? Just enough time to find the square root of pie, travel to the moon, and make a cup of coffee.

You see, my messy room isn’t just a messy room… or maybe it is a messy room and I just don’t want to clean it.

Sorry Mom.