Yes, I Am A Christian, Yes, My Favorite Holiday Is Halloween

That doesn't mean I worship the devil.

222
Ron Cogswell / Flickr

I was raised in church. My family has always celebrated Halloween. I was allowed to read and watch Harry Potter. But, I know peers that weren’t allowed to do either of those things and I cannot imagine them missing out on the fun. In the past, when I mention that Halloween is my favorite holiday; I always get some weird stares. I have been told “you must worship the devil” when I mention that it was my favorite. I do not worship the devil. But, alas, that is the thinking.

I decided I would dig into the history to see what people are referring to. I also decided to get some outside voices about whether they were allowed to celebrate Halloween and why. I have recorded my findings here.

*All history is in italics.

*Peers’ Responses are in bold

Let's get to know to know the history of Halloween.

Over 2,000 years ago, there were a people called the Celts. These people celebrated New Year's’ Day on November 1st, the end of summer. So, the day before, was the day they believed that the living and dead came together.

The Christian church also celebrated November 1st, calling it All Saints Day. It was a day to honor the saints and martyrs of their religion. The day before was called “All Hallows Eve.” This is where the name “Halloween” came from.

Costumes:

Similar to the Celts, the Europeans were also weary of October 31st. They believed the spirits of the dead would visit Earth to harm them and they could hide from the spirits by wearing costumes of ghosts and dead creatures to blend in with them.

Psychics:

On the day of Hallows Eve, the Celtics believed that the Celtic priests were able to predict the future.

Carving Jack-o-Lanterns:

The Celts believe that the Jack-o-Lanterns were used to guide lost spirits home when wandering the streets on Halloween.

Spiders/Bats/Black Cats:

All of these are believed to have been companions of witches.

Black Cauldrons:

The celts believed that after death, all souls went into the cauldron, awaiting reincarnation.

Trick-or-Treating:

During October 31st celebrations, when demons would wander the streets, the only way for scared humans to avoid the demons were to offer them things they liked: such as candy and treats.

Originally, children would go door-to-door with soul cakes, to sing for the dead. This was called “souling.”

The trick part of trick-or-treating used to involve pulling pranks on people’s homes: egging homes, tipping over outhouses, and opening gates to let animals out. In the 20’s and 30’s, it became more of a way to vandalize rather than pull pranks. So, parents suggested for their kids to dress up in costumes as a safe alternative and if treats were provided, then kids would be less likely.

~A: “My parents explained to me growing up that trick or treating wasn’t bad but the origin of the commemoration has to do with witchcraft and occultism, so even if we don’t do anything relating to that, if we take part on the party, then we are somehow agreeing with it. I confirmed this with my own research. Witch doctors and devil-worshipers from all over the world venerate this day; they truly do have contact with spirits and worship by the means of animal or, in third-world countries, human sacrifices.”

~L: In response to the above, “I live near a bunch of ley lines so we actually get human sacrifices near me on Halloween...you’d never believe it in a 1st world country would you? Craziness”

~A: “Yes! I also grew up watching Harry Potter. As long as you know it’s all imagination and make belief then you’re fine. Now if someone is chanting witchcraft or something, then no that’s not okay lol. I’m not a fan of haunted houses or anything dark; that I don’t celebrate.”

Apple-Bobbing/Apples:

Apple-bobbing used to be a means of fortune-telling. The first person to pluck an apple from the water basin, without using his or her hands, would be the first to marry.

At the stroke of midnight, a woman could peel an apple into one long strip and throw it over her shoulder. When the strip landed, whatever letter shape the strip made, was the letter of her future husband’s name.

Other Responses:

~A: “It’s all fun and games in the U.S. because, if I can be honest, few people pay attention to spiritual warfare here. I grew up in a pentecostal church in Mexico. I saw demon-possessed people and deliverances. I heard first-person accounts of people affected by witchcraft. I’ve seen shadows and felt evil presences.”

~M: “My family did celebrate Halloween growing up. Costumes, trick or treating, etc. I came to faith in Christ at 18 and when/if I have kids I do not think we will be doing any Halloween type things. I understand it’s fun for the kids, but I do not want anything to do with the devil or evil! It’s very real and I want nothing to do with it!”

~C: “I always celebrated Halloween and went trick or treating. Yet I wasn’t allowed to watch Harry Potter growing up because it could be associated with witchcraft. I never thought there was anything bad with Halloween growing up and I still love Halloween.”

~H: “I don’t like Halloween. My little kids get scared because people take it so far and make it so scary. And it’s just not fun. I don’t like the origins. We do a fall celebration type thing -- go out for food and watch a movie. But no trick or treating and no costumes until after they are on clearance and then I buy them for dress up.”

~G: “I wasn’t allowed to. My mom and dad are big on doing everything unto the Lord (as we all should be) so we were not allowed to participate. My parents don’t believe in “oh it’s just fun,” if it isn’t honoring to the Lord.”

~J: “No celebrating for me. It’s the devil’s holiday.”

~C: “Yes. We celebrated Halloween with costumes, trick or treating, and my grandmother would have parties for us. My mom would decorate our house. I decorate my house still, and scary movies are one of my favorite things! But I also knew it was all pretend.”

~S: “We did full halloween. Costumes, trick or treating, trunk or treats, and all. I LOVED all the Halloween movies on disney!! (still do!!) I’m not a fan of horror movies though. That’s my limit.”

Scripture that is used against Halloween:

• 1 Timothy 4:1 -- “The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits things taught by demons.”
  • Philippians 4:8 -- “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.”
  • Leviticus 20:27 -- “A man or a woman who is a medium or a necromancer shall surely be put to death. They shall be stoned with stones; their blood shall be upon them.”
  • Deuteronomy 18:9-13 -- “9 When you enter the land the Lord your God is giving you, do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there. 10 Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft,11 or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. 12 Anyone who does these things is detestable to the Lord; because of these same detestable practices the Lord your God will drive out those nations before you. 13 You must be blameless before the Lord your God.”
  • Ephesians 5:11 -- “Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.”
  • 2 Corinthians 6:17 -- “Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you.”

According to LiveScience, “Some evangelical Christians have expressed concern that Halloween is somehow satanic because of its roots in pagan ritual. However, ancient Celts did not worship anything resembling the Christian devil and had no concept of it. In fact, the Samhain festival had long since vanished by the time the Catholic Church began persecuting witches in its search for satanic cabals.”

In the late 1800’s, America tried to make Halloween into a more family-friendly event with having Halloween parties for the community and neighborhood get-togethers.

According to Grace to You, “Halloween is almost exclusively an American secular holiday...Evil spirits are no more active and sinister on Halloween than they are on any other day of the year....The actual incidents of satanic-associated crime are very low; the biggest threat on Halloween is drunk-driving, vandals, and unsupervised children.”

My Thoughts:

After doing research and talking to people, I still do not see how someone cannot participate in Halloween. I just do not understand the thought process of it being a “devil’s holiday.” It might have been created as that but Halloween as evolved since then.

Halloween is a fun holiday that kids can partake in to get some candy and have some fun dressing up in costumes. Watching horror movies does not invite the demons into your home. Playing with brooms, watching Harry Potter, and watching Hocus Pocus/Halloweentown does not mean we want to be witches/warlocks. It just means that we are kids and enjoy the “pretend” of it all. We enjoy the imagination behind it all.

Halloween should be a holiday filled with fun and laughter not a day to criticize those that partake and believe that they are worshipping the devil.

I still will participate in Halloween and I hope to involve my future spouse and children in the holiday festivities.

Sources:

http://www.5minuteenglish.com/oct29.htm

https://www.livescience.com/16677-halloween-superstitions-traditions.html

http://www.bibleinfo.com/en/questions/it-wrong-celebrate-halloween

https://www.gty.org/library/articles/A123/christians-and-halloween

https://www.livescience.com/40596-history-of-halloween.html