The 5 Most Commonly Broken New Year's Resolutions

Do not let yourself be the person who starts a New Year's resolution and does not finish it.

224

It is that week during the end of the year when everyone starts figuring out their New Year's resolution. The problem is that many people start their resolution, but they do not finish it. People set goals that are too broad and it becomes too hard to accomplish, so they give up. Here are five of the most common resolution that are broken and tips on how you can help yourself achieve these resolutions:

1. Lose weight and get fit

This is such a broad statement. Many people say this, but they do not sit down and set little goals throughout the year. To actually lose weight and get fit, you need to have a plan. Sign up for group workout classes, have a support friend (who already is big on working out), and educate yourself on the benefits of working out to motivate you. Have markers throughout the year, kind of like checkpoints. Don't let yourself be one of those annoying people who fill up the gym for the first two months and then never ago again.

2. Quit smoking

This is another huge one. Many people think they can just quit cold turkey when it comes to smoking. This is an unrealistic expectation for most people. Again, set yourself goals. For instance, by March only smoke one pack, and so forth. This lets you cut back slowly, so you will have a smaller chance of relapsing.

3. Be less stressed

This is actually my New Year's resolution. To say, "I am going to be less stressed," is pretty broad. My approach is going through and figuring out what is making me so stressed. Then, I am going to research things to do that can help. A lot of times, becoming less stressed is just being more organized and working on time management. A few changes can make a huge impact in being less stressed. You just have to make sure you stick to whatever you decide to do. Do not go back to your old ways.

4. Volunteer

There are many different types of volunteer work. Just make sure you are researching and finding volunteer work in something that you enjoy. Volunteering is very rewarding and it is fun when you are involved with an organization you truly believe in. If you pick a volunteer place that is right for you, it will be easier to stick with.

5. Drink less alcohol

Many people put this goal under the category of working out and getting fit. The best thing to do is find alternative drinks. And it might involve accepting the idea of not always being the drunkest at parties or giving up the random beers after work on a Wednesday. It can be done; it just takes will power and strength.