Year In A Jar

Year In A Jar

Seeing all your best moments, your favorite moments from the past 365 days... Worth it.

157
Year In A Jar
Unsplash - Brooke Lark

With nearly a month out of the new year completed, it’s crazy to think that there is so much in the past and even more that lies ahead. As times goes on, I think it is important to remember all the little things that happen to us, ESPECIALLY the good, fun and heart-warming. Three years ago, I stumbled upon this Twitter post that had picture instructions with how to make your own Year In A Jar. The idea behind the jar is to keep track of all the good moments throughout the year! Additionally, just the presence of the jar around reminds you of just how good life is. It is a challenge to persevere and work to fill up your jar, but at the year of the year, it sure is worth it. Just seeing all your best moments, your favorite moments from the past 365 days. All it takes is three steps.

Step 1: Buy the supplies

You’ll want to get yourself a tall storage container. Something along the lines of air-tight container. I would highly recommend something clear so you can see your progress as the year goes on! I found a container for cheap at Wal-Mart, but you can definitely find these containers at any other store or even online. While you are looking for your container (really your jar), you should pick up notecards and colored pens to record your memories throughout the year. I personally like the blank notecards so I have a blank canvas for whatever I want to write (or draw) on my notecards. And with the colored pens, you can change it up according to your mood, maybe green for the great memories with friends and red for those fiery nights with your significant other *wink wink*.

If you’re feeling extra creative and dedicated to this project, you can take the time to add a little flair to your jar

Step 2: Record the moments

This is where is gets tricky. This might sound ridiculous, but it is harder than you would think. I definitely struggled a bit with this. Throughout the year, you have to be aware of all the good things happening to you and RECORD THEM. You might not remember them down the line and forget to record the good stuff in your life. Eventually, you’ll forget the moments entirely. That’s where the jar comes in,

When things happen, you don’t have to record them right then and there, but you really should record them and those notecards to the others in your jar.

Take the blank notecards from step 1 and tear them in half so you have two little squares. Each square can be used for one moment that you want to remember. Write the date at the top of the square and a little blurb about what took place, what made you happy, what you want to remember.

I like to keep notes in my phone and write them all out at the end of a day.

This next part is important. Fold it in half with the writing on the inside and put it in the jar. This is important for step 3.

Step 3: Remember

As the year goes on, you can see a progression of how great of a year it is turning out to be. Every once in a while, you’ll want to pick a few memories out of the jar just to read and remember them. Just because. Or maybe you’re having an extra rough day and need a pick me up. You have an entire jar, an entire year of happiness ready for you. The best part? It is everything happy in YOUR life. It is all of the good in YOUR life. Past and present.

As you write your notes and fill up your jar, you can see just how good of a year it has been. It is such a rewarding experience to see a physical representation of what a wonderful year it has been. Seeing the two jars I have has me thinking about the highlights of my life. I’ve written hundreds of notes. Just thinking about all of the good things in my life puts a smile on my face. Looking at the two jars I have every morning is truly a great way to start the day. It’s a slow start, especially if you’ve never created a Year In A Jar, but the reward far surpasses the work.