Y'all forgot? Better not: Inside the Collective Display Art Show

Come and see what all of the hype is about!

10

The 2016 Collective Display will showcase the consistent efforts of some of Syracuse’s native creatives. The event will feature the work of 12 artists, all who have graduated from Syracuse schools and currently attend college. The event will provide an innovative approach to the traditional art gallery by generating a new kind of fluidity that engages all senses of those in attendance. Our work and the accompanying atmosphere will draw attention to and appreciation for the positive aspects of the Central New York culture. The event is scheduled to take place at the Clarence Jordan Vision Center on Saturday, July 23 2016 from 6 pm to 9 pm. We chose the Clarence Jordan Vision Center as our location because not only does it afford us with a lot more space to accommodate the growing number of attendees, but also because the facility represents the values we aim to call attention to. Our belief is that our event will also increase the awareness of the Vision Center’s free youth programs and the efforts of other community organizations such as the Gifford Foundation.

The event will also include interactive activities that allow for the guests to collaborative with the artists to create artwork that will help repaint a more positive picture of the Syracuse community.

The Collective Display art show was formed following my freshman year of college. Having learned many new methods, I wanted to put them to use in a way that would serve the community that allowed me to get to where I am today. I wanted to not only showcase my work, but I also sought other young, Syracuse-based artists to join me to create a culture that cultivated diversity and diligence. After the group was assembled, we were fortunate enough to have the opportunity to demonstrate our abilities by transforming the 754 barbershop into an art gallery that saw a turnout of well over 150 people for two consecutive years. In the two years I have curated the event, there has been a steady rate of growth in both community involvement and anticipation for the future of the initiative. An example can be seen in the increase in turnout in our second year through evolving marketing methods such as the 18 day long display of a billboard promoting the event in two separate areas of Syracuse. Through the deliverance of thought provoking T-shirts and social media images/posts, we intend to engage the community in a way that calls for the kind of attention that is answered with action. We want to generate a strong sense of pride in the Syracuse community for the sake of presenting the belief that progress is very attainable through selfless effort.

The goal of this event is to not only inspire others to create art, but also to embrace and pursue the creative process in general. It is through our creative expression that we will continue to establish a new identity for the Syracuse community, one where we place more attention and energy on those who are courageous enough to push the positive actions of our peers to the forefront of the common conversation. Because so many people have not had the opportunity to experience the atmosphere that comes along with an art gallery, we believe that we can unlock the potential that exists in our population to use its creative abilities to bring each individual’s vision to fruition. Ultimately, we want for our event, message, and artwork to help restore people’s trust in the fact that there is a support for and appreciation of those who promote positivity in our community.

This event will be further evidence to the people of Syracuse that a willingness to pursue collaborative creative endeavors is something that will be embraced by those who are in a position to both encourage and empower the community. Many people in the community believe that their good deeds will forever go unnoticed, and this event has helped create a paradigm shift, particularly in the minds of Syracuse’s Millennial population. It is my belief that our artwork will serve as symbols that draw connection to our community’s collective progression. In essence, the effects on the community will be in the form of inspiring people to take action towards attaining the reality they aspire to have.

For Info regarding this years show, visit our Facebook page:

visit Facebook pagehttps://www.facebook.com/Collective-Display-Art-Show-775761299192446/