11 YA Series You Have to Read

11 YA Series You Have to Read

You're never too young to read YA.

38
11 YA Series You Have to Read

Although, college is pretty stressful and it may seem like there is no time to "waste" on reading books, I would suggest you give these books a try. Read it on the subway or read a chapter before you sleep. Whatever you do, I can tell you that you will be unable to control yourself from reading the following series.

1. DIVERGENT TRILOGY BY VERONICA ROTH

About the series: Set in a futuristic dystopia where society is divided into five factions that each represent a different virtue, teenagers have to decide if they want to stay in their faction or switch to another - for the rest of their lives. Tris Prior makes a choice that surprises everyone. Then Tris and her fellow faction-members have to live through a highly competitive initiation process to live out the choice they have made. They must undergo extreme physical and intense psychological tests that transform them all. Tris has a secret, she is Divergent, which means she doesn't fit into any one group. If anyone knew, it would mean a certain death. As she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly peaceful society, this secret might help her save the people she loves... or it might destroy her.- Written by anonymous

Favorite quote: “Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.”

2. HUNGER GAMES TRILOGY BY SUZANNE COLLINS

About the series:In a dystopian future, the totalitarian nation of Panem is divided into 12 districts and the Capitol. Each year two young representatives from each district are selected by lottery to participate in The Hunger Games. Part entertainment, part brutal retribution for a past rebellion, the televised games are broadcast throughout Panem. The 24 participants are forced to eliminate their competitors while the citizens of Panem are required to watch. When 16-year-old Katniss' young sister, Prim, is selected as District 12's female representative, Katniss volunteers to take her place. She and her male counterpart, Peeta, are pitted against bigger, stronger representatives, some of whom have trained for this their whole lives.- Written by Suzanne Collins

Favorite quote: "Fire is catching! And if we burn, you burn with us!"

"May the odds be ever in your favor!"

3. HARRY POTTER SERIES BY J.K. ROWLING

About the series:Harry Potter is an average bespectacled 11 year old boy who has lived with the Dursley family ever since his parents died in a car crash. For some reason the family has always mistreated him. On his 11th birthday a giant man named Rubeus Hagrid hands him a letter telling him that he has been accepted as a student at the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Harry learns that his parents were wizards and were killed by an evil wizard Voldemort, a truth that was hidden from him all these years. He embarks for his new life as a student, gathering two good friends Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger along the way. They soon learn that something very valuable is hidden somewhere inside the school and Voldemort is very anxious to lay his hands on it.- Written by Soumitra

Favorite quote:"Of course it is happening inside your head Harry, but why on Earth should that mean that it is not real."

"We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are."

4. PERCY JACKSON SERIES BY RICK RIORDAN

About the series:The Camp Half-Blood is protected by Thalia, a daughter of Zeus that sacrificed her life to save the young Annabeth, Grover and Luke from an attack of Cyclops and was transformed by her father in a magical tree. Out of the blue, Percy Jackson is visited by his unknown half-brother Cyclops Tyson and they discover that Thalia was poisoned and is dying. Then the camp is attacked by a Colchis Bull but it is vanquished by Percy. Soon he learns that Luke is the one that has poisoned the magical tree. Annabeth discovers the mystic Golden Fleece is capable to heal Thalia and save their camp. But Mr. D assigns the winner demigod Clarisse to the quest of retrieving the magic fleece. However Percy Jackson, Annabeth, Grover and Tyson decide to follow an ancient prophecy and they go to the dangerous journey to the Sea of Monsters to recover the Golden Fleece from Luke that wants to revive the evil Kronos to destroy the Olympus.- Written by Claudio Carvalho, Rio de Janeiro, Brazi

Favorite quote:"Hermes gazed up at the stars. 'My dear young cousin, if there's one thing I've learned over the eons, it's that you can't give up on your family. No matter how tempting they make it. it doesn't matter if they hate you, or embarrass you, or simply don't appreciate your genius for inventing the internet--"

5. IF I STAY SERIES BY GAYLE FORMAN

About the series:Mia Hall thought the hardest decision she would ever face would be whether to pursue her musical dreams at Juilliard or follow a different path to be with the love of her life, Adam. But what should have been a carefree family drive changes everything in an instant, and now her own life hangs in the balance. Caught between life and death for one revealing day, Mia has only one decision left, which will not only decide her future but her ultimate fate.- Written by Warner Bros.

Favorite quote:"Sometimes you make choices in life and sometimes choices make you.”

6. THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS SERIES BY CASSANDRA CLARE

About the series:Set in contemporary New York City, a seemingly ordinary teenager, Clary Fray, discovers she is the descendant of a line of Shadowhunters, a secret cadre of young half-angel warriors locked in an ancient battle to protect our world from demons. After the disappearance of her mother, Clary must join forces with a group of Shadowhunters, who introduce her to a dangerous alternate New York called Downworld, filled with demons, warlocks, vampires, werewolves and other deadly creatures.- Written by Sony Pictures Entertainment

Favorite quote:"To love is to destroy and to be loved is to be the one destroyed"

7. GALLAGHER GIRL SERIES BY ALLY CARTER

About the series: A teenage girl attending a spy-training academy tries to solve the the mystery of her father's death while keeping her a secret from a boy who doesn't know she's a spy. - Written by IMDb

Favorite quote:“I could have lied. I could have fought. But desperate times call for desperate measures, so I took a chance and called upon a Gallagher Girl's weapon of last resort. I flirted”

8. THE MAZE RUNNER SERIES JAMES DASHNER

About the series:Thomas wakes up in an elevator, remembering nothing but his own name. He emerges into a world of about 60 teen boys who have learned to survive in a completely enclosed environment, subsisting on their own agriculture and supplies. A new boy arrives every 30 days. The original group has been in "The Glade" for three years, trying to find a way to escape through the Maze that surrounds their living space. They have begun to give up hope. Then a comatose girl arrives with a strange note, and their world begins to change. There are some great, fast-paced action scenes, particularly those involving the nightmarish Grievers who plague the boys.- Written by KelseyJ

Favorite quote:“If you ain’t scared… you ain’t human.”

9. THE SELECTION SERIES BY KIERA CASS

About the series:Thirty-five girls are given a once in a lifetime chance to compete in a contest called the Selection. They are given an opportunity to escape the life given to them since birth. Prince Maxon is looking for his princess and one of the thirty-five will be the new Queen-to-be.

Favorite quote: “I hope you find someone you can't live without.I really do. And I hope you never have to know what it's like to have to try and live without them.”

10. SHATTER ME TRILOGY BY TAHEREH MAFI

About the series:A 17-year-old girl is imprisoned for possessing a fatal touch. As she watches everything crumble around her, she must choose between relinquishing her power or using it to save the world. -- Written by Movie Insider

Favorite quote:“I spent my life folded between the pages of books.
In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”

11. THE MARA DYER SERIES BY MICHELLE HODKIN

About the series: After Mara survives the traumatizing accident at the old asylum, it makes sense that she has issues. She lost her best friend, her boyfriend, and her boyfriend’s sister, and as if that weren’t enough to cope with, her family moves to a new state in order to give her a fresh start. But that fresh start is quickly filled with hallucinations—or are they premonitions?—and then corpses, and the boundary between reality and nightmare is wavering. At school, there’s Noah, a devastatingly handsome charmer who seems determined to help Mara piece together what’s real, what’s imagined—and what’s very, very dangerous. -- Excerpt from official synopsis

Favorite quote: “Thinking something does not make it true. Wanting something does not make it real.”