Being A Xavier Fan At The University Of Cincinnati

In the battle for the Queen City, I choose blue and white.

8
xavier.edu

Every sports-oriented family has their "team." The professional or college level team that you never miss a game, no matter what state you're in, and if you're lucky enough, maybe you have season tickets to all of their home games. Maybe your basement is painted with their team colors, and the walls are covered in posters, signs, and memorabilia.

For my family, that team is Xavier University Musketeers Men's Basketball. It's been that way basically since my parents met that Friday night at Dana Garden's in 1987. Xavier is what brought them together.

When The Cintas Center opened, my family decided to purchase season tickets, in the upper decks. For the next ten years, we attended (almost) every home game. I was in the Xavier Kid's club, flaunting that membership card like it was gold. I loved the atmosphere and how intense the games could be. Of course, the 8-year-old me was more into the halftime shows and the Dip-In-Dots I always got at the beginning of the second half. I was there for the Thad Matta era, to Sean Miller to the loved Chris Mack. I've seen some of the craziest games (think, 2009 UC/XU double overtime) to the infamous brawl in 2011. Some of my first "crushes" were Xavier players (shout-out to Justin Doellman). I grew up with this organization. Even out of town, we find bars to play the Xavier games so we would never miss a beat. My basement is painted navy blue and white. I grew up with this organization and it's colors flowing through my veins.

Attending the University of Cincinnati was one of the greatest decisions I've ever made. I've met some amazing people and some lasting memories, and I love attending football games, but I will forever be a Muskie basketball fan at heart. All of the time people cannot comprehend how I could cheer for Xavier, when I go to UC. I've learned my lesson and usually keep it to myself (drunk UC basketball fans can be a little scary), but I'll never be able to not cheer for Xavier. Asking me to change is like asking a Cleveland Browns fan to root for the Bengals. It's oil and water. It won't happen.

Xavier men's basketball is more than just an NCAA D1 team. It's a family. I love my Bearcats, but I can't part with what's in my blood.