It's OK To Be Scared Of Senior Year And Graduation
College

6 Times I've Felt Old And Irrelevant This Semester, My Senior Year Of College

Don't say the "S" word... but also don't talk to the kids you used to babysit because they'll tell you you're old too.

199
Emily Riley

Being a senior in college is terrifying. You feel old, you don't know any of the new members in your sorority, and you have to start helping your younger brother with college application questions (even though he is forever going to be 12 in your mind).

So, in honor of almost being done with my last-first semester of college, here are six times I've felt old and irrelevant.

1. The girls I used to babysit are now about to get their licenses. 

Like, are you kidding? I used to read you books and make sure you were in bed by 8:30 and now you're going to formal and driving around the neighborhood. I'm seriously starting to mentally prepare myself to see all of you speeding through the streets of downtown.

2. My younger brother is APPLYING TO COLLEGE!

In the minds of myself and my best friends, my brother will forever be 12-years-old. We still get weirded out that he can drive. So the fact that he texted me asking what he should put down as an answer for a COLLEGE APPLICATION absolutely sent us over the edge and made us panic.

3. My dog is going to be three. 

This may seem very minor and insignificant but we got my dog when he was 5-weeks-old, and I've yet to throw him a birthday party because I've been at school. He is now turning three and I feel like I've just missed a lot of my child's life.

4. The question is no longer "what's your plan for the summer," it's what are you going to do for a living?" 

OK, OK, OK, so, like, I can't just have random summer jobs anymore. I get it. THANK YOU, FAMILY, I KNOW I NEED A CAREER. Anyway, the fact that I have to even THINK about sending in resumes and cover letters and putting together portfolios makes me feel ancient, and I'm just not ready to adult yet.

5. After this year, I will barely know anyone left at my high school.

I used to pride myself on being able to know kids back at my high school so I could go and help people out for different graduation ceremonies that my high school does. After the class of 2019 graduates (my brother's class) I will know basically NO ONE and will *officially* be irrelevant.

6. People applying to USC are now 2000s babies!

Literally everyone that just joined my sorority was born in 2000. I know most of us were born in the late '90s and can barely refer to ourselves as "'90s kids," but like there are no more 'youngins' that are from the '90s and it just freaks me out.

Basically, I'm old. And it's really starting to hit me and freak me out.

SO, to all of the kids I used to babysit: stop growing up.

To my brother: stay 12.

And to everyone that's younger than me and is complaining about being young: STOP IT. Appreciate it. Love it. Stay young forever.