Writing Poetry: A Practice That Helps Us Thrive

You don't have to be an English major to write poetry.

8
Christina Van Eck

I have always had a love-hate relationship with writing poetry. Poetry is a beautiful art form which challenges readers to think about both themselves and the world in new ways. I'm sure you can think of a poem that caused you to see the world differently or finally brought a sense of meaning to a difficult reality.

Though poems are embedded with beauty, many poems are utterly confusing and abstract. Poetry can feel like nonsense. Reading a difficult poem may leave you thinking what-in-the-world-is-happening-here.

This semester I am taking a poetry class. Each week, we are required to create a poem or two, exploring different types of meter, rhyme and form. It has been enjoyable to creatively express myself through my words and dig up thoughts and feelings that need to be released.

But let me tell you: writing poetry is hard. Trying to create phrases that are both sonically pleasing and coherent is quite challenging. Poetry seems to have a set of standards that validates good poetry, and I often feel like all of my poems miss the bar.

Despite my battle with poetry, I have begun to realize an important truth: though poetry can be excruciatingly difficult to write, poetry is a necessary art and practice. Because of this, I believe it is necessary for individuals to practice writing poetry. And get this: you don't even have to be an English major to like or write poetry. Shocker.

You should write poetry because the act of writing is beneficial and highly therapeutic. When we write poetry, we bring thoughts, experiences and emotions to paper. Though the words and images brought to life through poetry are often painful, these words can also bring a necessary healing. The process of naming the experiences and emotions that inflict the deepest hurt allows the writer to begin to mend himself or herself.

I have used poetry as therapy during my achingly difficult seasons. When my friend Chase died unexpectedly two summers ago, I did not know how to cope. Eventually, I turned to poetry. As I wrestled with the words brought to paper, I faced my own emotions of Chase's death. In this sense, poetry was therapeutic because it gave me the space to breathe and write what I could not speak.

Writing poetry can also serve as a response to the situations that occur in our lives and in the world. Many of these wonderful and awful situations require us to stop and respond in thought, word or action.

Poetry can take various forms of response. Poetry can be a space to respond in joy, lament, celebration, grief, or questioning. For example, when the attacks on 9/11 occurred, many poets and individuals used poetry as a way to make sense of the catastrophes and respond to the pain they cased. Poetry as response allows us to dialogue with the world's deepest groans, as well as with its deepest joys.

Finally, writing poetry has the power to bring life's mysteries to paper. Poetry allows us to open our eyes to the experiences we cannot fully express with our ordinary language. Poetry creates a canvas on which we record the mundane, the miseries, the mysteries and the miracles of our lives and hearts.

Whether you are poetic genius, someone who loves to create or an individual longing to make meaning, try writing poetry. You may find yourself pleasantly surprised by what kind of meaning your words create.

Poetry is a place of solace in our hurting world. Poetry allows our hearts to ache. Poetry allows our spirits to rejoice. Poetry helps us to thrive. Poetry brings meaning and life into our world.

So what are you waiting for? Express yourself, embrace your emotions and write.