Why I Write For Odyssey

Why I Write For Odyssey

"So what made you want to begin writing for Odyssey?"

8
Why I Write For Odyssey
International Association of Professional Writers & Editors

I have had several people approach me and ask, “So what made you decide to start writing articles for the Odyssey?”

Well… I have to admit. I suck at talking to people and expressing my ideas, thoughts, and opinions verbally. I’m not the one to speak my opinion in groups and I tend to stay quiet, especially around new people. For those of you who know me, you can agree with this. I’m a girl of few words. I'm hesitant to open up to people. I’m always nervous what people might think of me or what their reply will be. My self- confidence in speaking isn’t the greatest so what better way to express my ideas, thoughts, and opinions than through writing.

In high school, I was never one to like writing essays or papers and struggled constantly. To be completely honest, I hated writing. I think I even left a few tear marks on one of my essays. Writing has always been a challenge for me growing up but I’ve grown to love it more and more after each article I write for the Odyssey. My english teacher from high school recently text me asking what got me to start for the Odyssey. I had to confess that although I didn’t like writing back in high school and dreaded it everyday, I found a new love for it in college. It has opened up new doors and new opportunities for me in expressing my ideas, thoughts, and opinions.

I’m sure that you have heard the saying, “College changes people.” I 100% agree with this statement; in just two years from graduating high school, my love and desire of writing has grown. My desire for writing has boosted my confidence and has ultimately made me interested in potentially growing as a writer. It’s given me the chance to say what and how I really feel. It’s provided me with the opportunity to have my voice heard. When I am comfortable and confident in speaking, you can’t get me to stop talking. Literally. But when my confidence is low in speaking out loud, I turn to my laptop and write what is on my mind.

Many of my friends, family, and teachers have approached me saying they were surprised that I could write. I was too. I have always wanted to let people know what I think or how I feel. What makes me happy or what disappoints me. What I think about an event or just what I think is funny. Anything that I have on my mind or am not brave enough to speak, you can best believe that it will be written in an Odyssey article.

After years of struggling with self- confidence of having my voice heard, writing for the Odyssey has provided me with the opportunity to step out of my comfort zone and speak what’s on my mind. It’s okay to step out of your comfort zone every now and then; writing for the Odyssey has been a sense of relief for me. Tell people how you really feel and don’t hold anything back; whether you do this verbally or through writing, keep your ideas flowing and opinions heard. Writing has never been my thing but I stepped up to the challenge of trying something new, something completely out of my comfort zone and have fallen in love with writing.

This is why I write for the Odyssey.