To Writers Everywhere

To Writers Everywhere

From one writer to another, a little bit of advice.

14
To Writers Everywhere
Pexels.com

If I had to pick one quote that resonates with me the most about writing, then it was definitely said by a former "Gilmore Girl". In an interview about her book “Someday, Someday, Maybe” the former "Gilmore Girl" actress, Lauren Graham, dropped these words of wisdom: “In most careers there are signs that you’re doing well, signs that you should continue. In acting, and in writing as well, you have to make those up for yourself.”

We don’t often realize it, but people tend to put a deadline or timeline to achieving their dreams. I know I have. So this is a call to writers everywhere, don’t rush. You’ll be where you need to be, trust me. Writing opportunities are great, plenty even, but you should remember to never write just to get published.

I can speak from experience on that last piece of advice. I wrote for the teen section of a local newspaper, but I wasn’t really invested. I didn’t feel like I was writing for myself or that I had found my voice as one of my teachers advised I do. Thankfully, with time as well as contributing for Odyssey, I feel like I finally have found my voice.

Of course, I would never reach that point, if I hadn’t also realized that you always need to work through writer’s block. Sometimes, it does seem that every idea you have has been taken. You may even feel hopeless because, what’s left to create?

This is not the case. Sure, as a writer, you can’t get dibs on topics, but you’ll have your own perspective. You’ll make different points than other writers, and your diction will vary. It’s important to keep in mind to be your own person for everything in life.

With that said, don’t feel the need to compete with other authors/poets/freelance writers. It’s exhausting, and a waste of time and energy. I’m totally guilty of falling for this one, it’s easy to start comparing your work to theirs. But don’t put yourself in a sour mood, because as Anne Lamott said in her book “Bird by Bird," “The right words and sentences just do not come pouring out like ticker tape most of the time.”

It takes lots of drafts to get a poem/article/essay/short story/novel where you want it. Whenever you see your favorite writer churning out pages, take the time to consider that they’re just on writing kick, and the writer’s block could set in at any time. Therefore, feel free to compliment other writers. Celebrate their work, after all, you’d want them to celebrate yours.

Lastly, let others critique you. It can be scary, and nerve-wracking, but it pays off in the end. Where would writers be without honest opinions from their editors? Probably still huddled over their computer or notebook, re-reading their passages and debating the piece in their head.

All in all, just keep writing. Your journey doesn’t need to follow a set timeline. This is a call for writers everywhere, enjoy your successes and laugh at your mistakes. It’s all a part of the fun.