Creating With Odyssey Changed Me

Creating With Odyssey Changed Me

Each and every article brought me closer to who I am today.

5
Creating With Odyssey Changed Me

I had never been confident. But, I had always known that one day I wanted my work to touch thousands of people. I wanted my voice to be heard and my ideas to inspire others. But, as a college student in the middle of Connecticut, reaching thousands of people was a bit of a challenge.

In the summer of 2015, I attempted to create my own blog with a friend, and our posts began generating attention from all over the world. But, one view here and there meant that our posts would stop being shared just as soon as they started. So after a few weeks, we stopped.

That same summer, I came across the opportunity to write for Odyssey. Writing my own content each week? Getting to choose what I say and how I say it? This was the opportunity I had been yearning for. I began writing, and although my articles were only reaching a couple of people at a time, I was satisfied with the work I was doing.

Generating new and interesting content each and every week isn’t as easy as you would think. Some weeks I am extremely inspired and can write an article within fifteen minutes, while other weeks it takes hours to think of exactly what I want to say. But this challenge helped me greatly.

Now, when I am faced with the task of writing for class or writing for an exam, I am able to think and write at the same time. I am able to answer the questions necessary quicker than I ever had been able to before. For the first time ever, I enjoy writing. I enjoy when people read what I have to say and enjoy what I have written. I get excited when I am notified of someone sharing my article, or commenting on it.

The most rewarding moment for me as a writer was when I wrote an article in honor of my friend, and within a day it had generated over ten thousand shares. Within a week that same article generated almost one hundred thousand shares. The feedback and love I received for that article was amazing.

There’s no better feeling than knowing that you said or wrote touched someone else. People from all over the world began commenting on the article and I enjoyed reading each and every comment.

Becoming a writer for Odyssey made me a better version of myself. For the first time, I am confident in what I say and write. I take tests more confidently. I think more confidently. Although being a writer has its ups and downs, ultimately it is a rewarding experience.

Having your work reach people in different countries is a rare and unique experience, and Odyssey allows for that to happen to regular people like myself. Without the opportunity to write for Odyssey, my college journey would be much different. I am thankful that I took the writing opportunity I was presented with over a year ago because it has helped me greatly.