Wouldn't Have Made it Without You

Wouldn't Have Made it Without You

1728
Wouldn't Have Made it Without You

Forewarning that this is the most sentimental thing I've ever written. Which is saying something because sentimental is my middle name. I figured that it was only fitting to use one of my last articles as a way to thank the people I've been lucky enough to meet during my time at Trinity, and let them know just how important they are to me. Ever since I was little I've always cared too much about people and been embarrassed about it because I'm afraid of showing others that I care about them more than they care about me. But you guys have all cared about me more than I could possibly have asked for and I don't know what I did to deserve you all.

Thanks to Emma Sbarge for being my very first friend at Trinity back when I was even more awkward than I am today. Thanks for showing me how to be happy even when I wanted to crawl into a hole and never come out, and for always being there for me with a mug of chai tea and a hug whenever I needed a friend. Thanks for dance parties to Bastille songs, drunkenly doing squats together whenever we came back from a night out, and spending hours laying on your tiny twin bed in Elton listening to indie music and talking about that time I accidentally dyed your hair orange.

Thanks to Aysha Salam for never failing to make any situation a thousand times better in every way. You are one of the funniest and most clever people on this campus and I enjoy your company more than I can possibly express in words. Thanks for constantly making me laugh so hard I cry, for making up new slang words that will never catch on, for getting me to think about things I've never thought about before, and for always ending up on my bed eating chips and salsa with me at the end of the night.

Thanks to Alex Young for being such a loving and thoughtful person even though you try to pretend you're not. Thanks for spending a thousand hours choreographing our hip hop dance with Amanda because I was completely useless at it, for agreeing to come with me to English readings even though you don't want to because I'm needy, and for going on long nighttime drives to nowhere because life sucks sometimes. Thanks for being someone I can go to about anything, good or bad, and for never judging me when I do something embarrassing. Thanks for insulting me as a way to show your love, and for refusing to give me the satisfaction of laughing at something I say because you know it would make me entirely too pleased with myself. Thanks for letting me borrow everything you own, for witnessing me at my worst and still associating yourself with me, and most of all for your dog Kodak who is perfection in dog form.

Thanks to Sarah Talcott for being an actual princess but also being the loveliest human being alive. Thanks for being curled up in my bed instead of yours whenever I come home, for taking shots of water instead of alcohol with me to stay hydrated, for accompanying me to the gym but agreeing to leave ten minutes later because I'm over it, and for always letting me try a bite of your magical food concoctions. Thanks for singing along to sad songs when Amanda plays her ukulele, getting me to go dance onstage at fraternities, deliriously laughing about barbecue food, and making me crack up because of how many times you say the word crazy when we go to the liquor store together. I'm going to miss all of your sass, how you always know the answer to my questions because you're brilliant, and the times you accidentally say something funny and get so proud of yourself when someone laughs.

Thanks to Cayley Moynihan for finally becoming my friend after three years of missed opportunities. Thanks for laughing at my stories when everyone else just rolls their eyes and for witnessing all of my weirdest actions and instead of making fun of me just shaking your head and saying, "Jackie... you keep me young". Thanks for letting me third wheel you and Matt, jumping on board and joining me whenever I get in a weird mood and start saying nonsensical things, being my life support system at our three hour seminar of death, and appreciating the Jennifer Hudson mix up of 2017.

Thanks to Maddie Edwards for still managing to make me laugh even when something happens that feels like the end of the world. I can always count on you to make eye contact with me from across the room whenever something funny happens that no one else even remotely finds funny. Thanks for making awful puns about hot atoms and mouthing beep beep to me from your treadmill when we both listen to Ignition at the same time. Thanks for clutching onto me for dear life during a terrifying thunderstorm when we were holed up in a flimsy tent in the middle of Delaware, for thinking glice is just as hilarious as I do, and for never actually stealing and hiding my retainer no matter how many times you threaten to do so.

Thanks to Magge Nigro for being my rock these past four years. Thanks for helping me manage my fourteen suitcases on the subway even though people were shooting us death glares because we were causing such a ruckus, standing in line with me for an hour for a baked potato, having the exact same sense of humor as me, and eating so much food one night that we had to walk up and down the stairs of the Fred nineteen times in the hopes that the mild exercise would somehow fix our stomach pain. Thanks for taking me swing dancing at the Polish club, letting me help decorate your floor with cave paintings for the prehistoric theme during time-travel night, and not complaining when I lost my ID and made us retrace our steps and look for it all over West Hartford when it was just laying on my bed in my room.

Thanks to Callie Prince for being the best travel buddy and for always being there for anyone who needs it. Thanks for not letting me be alone even when I tell you I'm going to be terrible company, cracking up when our hip hop teacher told me to stop smiling while dancing, and consuming more wine and gelato with me than appropriate on a daily basis during our two week honeymoon. Thanks for meeting me at the airport with the hugest ten minute long hug and for not murdering me when I got us lost in Rome at a random gas station miles outside the city or when I brought us to the sketchiest hostel at two in the morning on the outskirts of Paris.

Thanks to Maggie Curlin for being just as smart and wonderful as you are beautiful. Thanks for always keeping everyone in high spirits even if you're having a bad day, and always knowing exactly what to say. Thanks for coming to cuddle on my bed the morning after the worst night ever, participating in highly off-key sing-alongs to Mamma Mia and The Sound of Music, and letting me grab your hand and shatter your eardrums with my screams when we watched the scariest movie ever.

Thanks to Daniella Salazar Herrera for always being willing to dance out any and all problems on the couches in our common room, and for doing and saying things that make me laugh even months after they happen. Thanks for your insane need to schedule everything out down to the minute, showing me that it is acceptable to have three lunches in one day, and suffering through that three hour walk of hell on the hottest day known to mankind. Thanks for not telling me I'm crazy when I'm being crazy, and for giving me wise advice on everything from Instagram captions to future life plans.

Thanks to Julianna Leone for encouraging me to be quirky and ridiculous at all times, and telling me that at the end of the day the only person you have to worry about accepting you is yourself. Thanks for holding grudges for me because I'm incapable of holding them myself, and making any story funny because of the way you tell it. Thanks for wine nights, getting way too many servings of pho, and dancing to Vamos a la Playa before we go out. You are witty, charming, and have the most infectious laugh, and I am going to miss you a hell of a lot when we graduate.

Thanks to Sammy Constantinou for being both the most fun and also the sweetest person ever. Thanks for making me laugh when I need it, for being serious when I need it, and for always saying yes to cheese and crackers. Thanks for waking me up for spin class every Monday morning at 7, having no boundaries whatsoever, encouraging me to take tequila shots with you even though tequila is not my friend, and for being the best person to do work with because unlike some people named Alex Young you have heard of the concept of silent studying. I'm going to miss seeing your beautiful cheery face every morning when I stumble out of my room tired and grumpy, being called jackalope on a daily basis, and hearing you scream along to the one line you know from I Want It That Way. How you still only know one line is beyond me.

Thanks to Jacqueline Busa for always making time for me even though you are the busiest person alive. Thanks for hour long talks over coffee, still inviting me to throw a Frisbee with you on the quad even though my throws always end up landing nowhere even close to where you're standing, and encouraging me to be a rebel when I should be doing work. Thanks for days spent on the quad with you and your guitar, Christmas parties with peppermint bark and pretty dresses, and making me cry because of how beautiful your senior song was.

Thanks to Silvia Fedi for taking care of me in every way. Thanks for walking me home freshman year when I took two shots of vodka and was down for the count because my alcohol tolerance was so atrociously low. Thanks for knocking on the door of my freshman single when I was alone on a Friday night, picking me out an outfit, and bringing me out with you and Jacq. Thanks for always going off campus with me whenever I need a break, or more specifically Chipotle, for playing Scrabble for hours over Trin Days, and for not letting me make poor life decisions.

Thanks to Kate Pesa for being the most caring and beautiful person on the planet. Thanks for being my mom and giving me band-aids when I cut my entire leg off shaving, guiding me back to bed when I'm half asleep and fully convinced Sarah's room is my room, and taking my contacts out for me when I'm too tired and petulantly refuse to. Thanks for leaving threatening post it notes attached to your food in the fridge, eating tuna at every waking moment, and having two hour in depth conversations about who we think is going to die in the last episode of How to Get Away With Murder.

Thanks to Ellie Clerc for making the most of the worst situations and always finding the silver lining. Thanks for hula dancing to Mele Kalikimakaand knowing every single word, always having a hilarious story to tell, very inaccurately reading peoples auras, bestowing your bracelet to me in the most elaborate way possible, discussing the pros and cons of the Oxford comma whilst drunk, and being able to befriend anybody you talk to.

Thanks to Katelyn Elinoff for always having an ear to lend and a shoulder to cry on. Thanks for our heart to hearts on the stairs, brushing our teeth together at the end of the night, and squeezing everyone onto your bed on snow day mornings. Thanks for dying your hair blue when I dye mine pink, failing miserably at toasting bread, and trying to Irish step dance to Ed Sheeran songs.

Thanks to Olivia Graham for always putting other people before her and being there for her friends at the drop of a hat. Thanks for cooking us family dinners, baking cookies after a long day, and for your hilariously dry sense of humor. As I so wisely said to you earlier this year in an effort to be reassuring, people may not recognize you on the outside, but they recognize you on the inside, which is what counts. Thanks for giving the best advice, making everyone play hangman as a study break activity, and supporting the people you care about through absolutely everything.

I had to take some creative license with the picture since for some reason unbeknownst to me we haven't taken a single photo together.

Thanks to Ania Aliev for being the most fiercely loyal friend I could've ever asked for. Thanks for breaking into my dorm room at 3 in the morning just so you can wake me up and rap Anaconda for me. Thanks for sneaking out of the house with me to go get macaroni and cheese because Henry told us we wouldn't be able to stick to our diet and we didn't want him to know he was right. Thanks for climbing back up four flights of stairs to rescue Petunia with me when the fire alarm went off at two in the morning, for making me mozzarella sticks when I get sad and for using inventive techniques to take pictures in front of the ocean. Even though you have the scariest road rage I ever did see and hurl shoes at people when you get mad, you have a heart of gold and I'm lucky enough to be able to see that side of you.

You're a petty good friend Onyong. And yes, I do mean petty.

Thanks to Karolina Holinkova for always being willing to go on adventures that don't involve needles. Thanks for New Year's Eve dares, frequent excursions to pizzerias, refusing to get out of the car to get an IV drip, and always knowing what to say to make someone smile. Thanks for endless brunches, being an honorary roommate of Jarvis T-400, and simultaneously being the kindest and most badass person at Trinity.

Thanks to Charlotte Thomas for driving me up a wall in the best way humanly possible. Thanks for roadtrips to LBI with just a singular Elton John CD to listen to on repeat the entire time, holing up in my house in Wilbraham and playing music trivia during a blizzard, and not strangling me when I made us get off the broken tram at four in the morning in Prague and walk home right before it decided to start working again. Thanks for always making me laugh with your crazy antics, for wandering around campus with me while playing Bop-It, and for breaking it down to Ellie Goulding at an ungodly hour of the morning in the library during finals for a study break. Thanks for always picking up the phone to talk to me when boys are dumb or classes are stressful or my life is falling apart and I'm not quite sure how to pick up the pieces. Even though you are two hours late to everything, I'll never mind waiting for you.

Thanks to Henry Cutler for always being there for me when I need it. Thanks for giving me a piggyback ride to the U-Bahn in Vienna at four in the morning because I couldn't walk in my heels for one more second, thanks for mopping my bloody face when I passed out and split my chin open trying to cure my hiccups, and thanks for sending me pictures of bla bea soup because you know it will make me laugh. You're impossible sometimes but you're a damn good friend and a damn good person.

Thanks to Marilyn Dedrick for teaching me to not take bullshit from anybody and to stand up for yourself and the things that are important to you. Thanks for being a tiny and cute munchkin but also one of the fiercest people I know, yelling "STAPLER" in the middle of the Cave because it is our entirely inconspicuous code word, and being the greatest co-Harley Quinn.

Thanks to Andrew Hatch for ensuring that every night is an adventure. Thanks for pulling an all-nighter with Gianna and me over spring weekend and for not being mad that we failed to notice that you fell asleep in the Uber so the Uber driver had to wake you up and tell you to get out. Thanks for making drinks that are 80% hard liquor and 20% mixer, giving everyone fancy gummies to use as chasers, always replaying the same four songs over and over again, and making pasta at every possible opportunity.

And thanks to Gianna Tondini for being present for my favorite night of senior year thus far. Thanks for taking drastic measures to recreate photos, abandoning Aysha at Sushi House, and ordering disco fries at six in the morning. Thanks for games of roulette, for making sure Jimmy never forgets that he claimed Emily Dickinson was still alive, and for requesting that I play Matchbox 20 because you know it's a crowd-pleaser.

Finally, thanks to Amanda Lundergan for being the best person I know. You know when I'm upset even before I do and you brighten my day every single time I see you. Which is pretty much all the time because I have separation anxiety whenever I'm away from you for too long. Thanks for getting inappropriately drunk with me at the ball we attended in Vienna, buying me a cup with an F on it instead of a J because you suck at knowing what cursive letters look like, waiting for me to make my way down a vertical mountain cliff at a painstakingly slow speed even though everyone else was ten miles ahead of us, renting a U-Haul truck and starting to laugh unhelpfully when I couldn't get it to go over 30 mph on the highway, and for driving everyone in our house insane with me by abbreviating every word under the sun. Most of all, thank you for sitting next to me in Intro to Media Studies freshman year because I don't know where I'd be without you.