I Asked 16 Broken-Hearted People What They Would Say To Their Ex

What would you tell your ex?

35
Thumbs Up Photography-Cheyenne Cooper

Chances are that you have had your heart broken… I know that I have! With a broken heart, often comes resent, but I have found out this past week that resent isn’t the only feeling that comes with a broken heart! I asked friends, family, and even strangers; young and old; male and female, what they would say to their ex-boyfriend/girlfriend if they had the chance. I don’t think much more needs to be said; their responses say a lot about human nature.

“As much as you hurt me, we met for a reason and I hope you treasure it as much as I do. You taught me a lot, I don't regret a single moment we had together. But sometimes life takes us down roads that we don't plan for or understand and that letting go to someone is bittersweet. I forgive you for all the pain that you caused because I learned so much more about myself and my self-worth.” – Lauren, 25

"I am over you, your Sperrys, and your polos, but I’m going to keep Michael Bublé around.” – Ginger, 16

“We obviously didn't end like I expected us to. You made my freshman year of college one of the most challenging, yet amazing experiences I have ever had. The first thing I noticed about you was your chill yet charming personality. We both didn't think we would be anything but friends. We definitely were not each other’s types. And I am so glad you charmed me into trying it out. We had some of the best memories. And we have had some not so good memories. A lot of tears and a lot of zero sleep because we want to talk about anything and nothing, listen to music and sing or watch movies. You are my favorite hero and will always be my favorite. I miss your deep laugh and voice. I wish things would have been different and it wouldn't have ended the way it had. I wish you still cared for me as I do and always will for you. Jalen Square thank you for believing in me and being the most loyal person I have met.”– Keonna, 19

"Thank You. Thank you for making me realize that I deserve better. Thank you for making it so easy for me to walk away. I will always be the best thing you never had.” – Kacey, 20

"Thank you so much for all the good times we had. I know we didn't end up like we thought we would, but I want you to know that I will never regret being with you (I hope you think the same). Many people open life's first door and find the person they're supposed to be with and others feel like they're opening an endless amount of doors and will never find their person. I know you'd prefer the first option, but here's the thing: opening more doors means more experiences, more stories to tell, more lessons learned, and more finding out exactly who you are and what you want. Those who find their forever love easily don't get that. In the meantime, please constantly remind yourself how amazing you are, because you're one of the coolest people I know. Thank you for letting me be a part of your life, even if it was short.”– Jennifer, 22

"We are both doing just fine. Even though our relationship went sour really quick. You were the world to me and you left me at the worst time in my life. But, I want to thank you for doing that because i found the one. You taught me and few thing and I learned from them. Deep down i wish the best for you and i still care for you. I hope you reach all of your dreams." – Chance, 20

“I don’t regret anything. I had an awesome year. It was super great while it lasted.” – Samantha, 16

"We were together for a long time. And we went through a lot to be together for as long as we did. You weren't perfect, I sure wasn't perfect. We had a lot of issues. But we really loved each other in the time we had. Thank you for all the dates, all the long talks, for putting up with me when we first started out and I had no idea what I was doing, and thank you for showing me that sometimes people do dumb things without thinking. Bottom line you were my first relationship, and as much as I thought back then that we would be together forever, I'm glad we aren't. You and I are different people now, with completely different lives. But our relationship set the foundation for my relationship with my soon to be husband. You taught me how to forgive, and look past some imperfections and love the person for their whole self. I will always care for you, and I hope that everything in life turns out the way you wanted, whatever path you decide to go down. Thank you for everything" – Holly, 19

“Thanks for not telling me that you were married.”– Louise, 88

“Marie, I wish we hadn't wasted that time. We shouldn’t have let our relationship start the way it did or end the way it did. We took away that experience from ourselves and watched them burn in a haze of secrets, denial, and anger. Those moments are few and far between. The fact that we squandered them the way we did is unforgivable.”– Tony, 21

"Thank you for the time we had together but thank you even more for helping shape me into the person I am today. Even though we didn't work out I hope the best for you"– Bethany, 18

“I hate you. I love you. I hate that I love you. Don’t want to, but I can’t put anyone else above you. I have you. I love you. I hate that I want you. You want her. You need her and I’ll never be her.” – Annie, 19

“There are a lot of things that I think I’d like to say to you, really. I’d like to tell you to be nicer to future flames, to not hurt them like you hurt me, and maybe to be a little more kind to your family because they love you more than anyone else ever will. I’d also like to scream mean things in your face to try to hurt you like you hurt me. Really, I’d like to tell you to change who you are because of the havoc you wrecked on my life. In the end I sometimes think I wouldn’t have liked to have you any other way. Other times, I think I’d rather have never had you at all. Really, more than anything, now, I wish I had never met you.” – Maggie, 19

“I think, maybe, I’ll always love you.”– Candice, 19

“I understand. I forgive you. Part of me hates you for what you did to me. For a time, I blamed myself. I wasn’t good enough for you. I wasn’t pretty enough for you. I couldn’t treat you how you thought you deserved to be treated. But I started to think about all the things you didn’t do for me. You didn’t come to my high school graduation, you made me question if I was smart enough to be in college, I didn’t join the honors college because in your words, “that’s only for smart people”, and you made me feel undesirable at times. So in the end thank you so much for showing me that I deserve so much more than what you could give me. I missed you for a time. But I moved on and I know you moved on a long time before me and I wish you the best of luck in your new relationship. But I’m so glad to be rid of that unhealthy relationship. I’m so happy to be without you.” – Lily, 19

“Did you ever grow up and make up our mind?” – Denise, 58

Heartbreak says a lot about the human spirit. It shapes you from the surface all the way to the core. Heartbreak doesn’t discriminate and it will never disappear! The good news is that it gets better and one day you will no longer feel the pain you are feeling now!