You Are Worth More Than Your Grades

You Are Worth More Than Your Grades

Your GPA doesn't define you.

135
You Are Worth More Than Your Grades
Julia Waterbury

For as long as I can remember, I've struggled with measuring my worth based on my grades. I still remember the B+ I got in earth science my freshman year of high school, which was more than five years ago. As a matter of fact, the reason I'm writing this article is that I've spent the past few days telling myself that I'm not good enough because I got an 85 percent on my accounting exam this week.

I know that a B isn't bad. I know that my score was still 10 percent above the average and that lots of people would have been ecstatic to get a B. However, no matter how many times my mom, my friends or anyone else tells me that a B isn't bad, I continue to believe and to tell myself that it's not good enough. So for those of you who have the same problem, I'm going to tell you the things that I need to start telling myself, because I'm worth more than my grades. You are worth more than your grades.

You are compassionate.

You are funny.

You are beautiful.

You are loyal.

You are strong.

You are considerate.

You are a good friend.

You are a hard worker.

You are inspiring.

You are brave.

You are creative.

You are trustworthy.

You are sincere.

You are charismatic.

You are resourceful.

You are patient.

You are passionate.

You are adventurous.

You are selfless.

I know that not all of these statements describe any one person perfectly, but many of them describe you. So instead of telling yourself "I'm not good enough" or "I'm not smart enough," tell yourself "I am strong," "I am compassionate," or whatever else it is that describes the real you. Changing your self-image isn't going to happen immediately. I'm probably still going to think that the next B I get isn't good enough, but know that no matter what grade you get or what your GPA is, there are so many amazing things that other people admire about you and that you should be proud of. You are worth more than your grades.