Wish That I Had… A Cause Worth Fighting For

What is going to be our next battle?

98
b.e.s.t.

Causality, the direct effect of one factor on another. Cause, according to Google, is defined as a person or thing that gives rise to an action, phenomenon or condition, or a principle, aim or movement that, because of a deep commitment, one is prepared to defend or advocate.

These causes are causing our downfall. Prepared to go after each and every presumed injustice, the fight has gone too far. The last article I wrote, “Millennial Against The World," was about what happens when we try to define a generation, place ourselves into it and then find we are unhappy with the results and turn against our peers. It did leave a question unanswered.

What should we be fighting for?

When the headlining causes of the past boast their red letter days and the constant recollection of glory, symbolism and justice becomes romanticized by the generation that lived it before us, we are left with a thirst for battle and to take up arms against an enemy that we’re told exists to bring us down and to harm others less fortunate than we are.

Firestarters are promoting the picture of a big government ready to use people as disposable income, the idea that everyone not promoting an acceptance of equality is the enemy and that if you are not on board, you’re only fighting yourself. With this in mind, what will start with the best intentions will be corrupted with power. The people taking the fight too far are thinking themselves incorruptible.

We’re going to fight a battle, but it is going to be our own. What are we going to do if half the army is on the wrong field? In the upcoming years, I think the battle is going to be against an enemy far greater than the oppression of human rights. In a push for equality and the same battles that have gone on in the background of history for years, there are inklings of an incorrect definition that, if heralded for truth and righteousness, are going to fail us all.

That definition is the parameters by which we define and promote equality. Shall I suggest that the current mass cultural definition of equality is not actually what we want? Equality has not just covered the bases for equal opportunity as each person tries to make their way in the world, but has allowed a platform for the justification of wrong actions, based on the fact that if one disagrees with another’s opinion, it’s automatically seen as an attack against whoever made the statement.

We have begun to blend the opinion with the person’s soul.

By that logic, there is no forgiveness for disagreement, and when any two people disagree, they are separated forever with no reason to change their mind.

Opposing views and challenges are what continues to grow and shape this era into something inventive and wonderful. However, if people continue to make camps based on who is “open-minded," defined not only by listening but agreeing with everything, and those who do not agree, we will lose the very diversity of opinion we tried to integrate when fighting for basic human rights. Part of the rights of being human is the right to be wrong. It also includes the right to make our own decisions and change our mind. Pledging allegiance to this blind fight for equality and silencing the opposition will ensure two things.

We will win the battle outright, but lose our souls in the process.