8 Best Worst Things To Say To Someone New

The eight worst things to say to people you're meeting for the first time.

692
Linkedin

So you've met a new person? Great! And now you want to make that person your new friend? Even better! As any of my current friends can tell you, I'm incredibly bad at first impressions. So through my years of awkward introductions, I give you this list of things you should never eversay when first meeting someone new.

1. "What's that?"

People are sensitive. So it's probably best to avoid asking about any malformed features, weird teeth, unique piercings or different tattoos. You know what? Probably just play it safe and don't ask about anything, like at all.

2. "How do you vote?"

I'm not very politically savvy, but I do know that politics can drive a very, very rough line between even the deepest of friendships. So in the future, it's probably best to avoid talking about it right?

3. "Wow you're little/big!"

Bruh, come on. You know better than this one. This isn't ignorant but rather incredibly rude. If you really feel like someone's size is a good first topic then maybe you should get off your perfectly sized high horse and join the rest of us in reality.

4. "How about this weather we're having?"

Well look at you Senor "Casa Blanca," being so topical in your conversation. Not many people you ever run into will ever care to hear about the weather randomly. If they do they're probably either a weather man or a really, really boring person.

5. "What are you?"

Sheesh, I really shouldn't have to explain why someone could possibly be upset by this. I mean you are asking them literally what they are. This could encompass major things like faith or political groups or it could just be a rude way of insinuating that they don't quite look like a human.

6. "Wanna hear about (weird hobby)?"

Trust me, there will plenty of time to show them your antique American Girl doll collection to these people you just met later. By no means is anything wrong with hobbies and collections but to bring it up when you first meet someone comes off as a little weird. So just chill out and find something better to discuss.

7. "Why are we here?"

Woah, OK. Way to get existential real quick here. I know friends who I still don't feel comfortable discussing, this let alone complete strangers. So maybe it's best to leave all questions about our place inside the universe for a later date, OK Aristotle?

8. "What's your zodiac sign?"

Okay let me make this perfectly clear: No one cares about your zodiac sign. What a stupid system that means absolutely nothing. Unless you happen to meet a quiz maker over at Buzzfeed, no one will ever care that you're a Scorpio so get over it and just don't bring it up.

Well there you have it. Now you're a little bit more prepared for the next time you meet someone new. Just remember avoid talking about this crap and you should be ok! Good luck!