When Worry Is Consuming

When Worry Is Consuming

Worry and anxiety can seem to overtake our lives, but there's a way to stop it.

18
When Worry Is Consuming
pexels.com

Worry and anxiety can be things that consume us. We try our hardest not to focus on things that stress us out, but sometimes it seems as if our brains just won't shut off. This is exhausting; worry is exhausting. It seems to take every bit of energy out of us. We try to forget all of our anxieties by going out, eating nonstop, or by avoiding our problems altogether. These temporary shelters from our worries do not last. They may make us feel a fake sense of calm for a little while, but in the end, the worry returns full force.

The only real, lasting relief that we can get from this deep-rooted worry is through Jesus Christ. He is the one, the only, source of true rest.

When we're consumed by that gut-wrenching worry but Jesus seems out of reach, the Bible offers comfort for our anxious spirits. In the Bible, God has given us hope when it seems as if we have none. He has given us peace that surpasses our humanly understanding. He gives us rest when we so desperately need it.

"When I said, 'My foot is slipping,' your unfailing love, Lord, supported me. When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy." Psalm 94:18-19

He always has our back; He is always there to lift us up when we fall.

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

God has given us peace that this world cannot offer.

"So don't worry about these things, saying, 'What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?' These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:31-33

God knows what we need before we even think of needing it. If we live for Jesus, then He will supply us with all we need to bring Him glory.

"I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world." John 16:33

He is straightforward; He tells us that we will have trials on earth. He makes a great point here: what do we have to worry about when we know that Jesus has overcome the world?

"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

God has promised us peace if we simply bring our worries to Him!

"Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? And if worry can't accomplish a little thing like that, what's the use of worrying over bigger things?" Luke 12:25-26

No, no they can't.

"Furthermore, because we are united with Christ, we have received an inheritance from God, for he chose us in advance, and he makes everything work out according to his plan." Ephesians 1:11

Our worries are usually based on our own plans, but in the end, God's plan will win out. So, really, most of our worries are wasted.

"Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take." Proverbs 3:6

We worry, but God will be our guide if we just seek Him.

"I lift up my eyes to the mountains- where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth." Psalm 121:1-2

The Maker of the universe chooses to help us and we choose to worry? That's crazy!