In A World Where College Majors Were Different Types Of Pie

I might actually not mind going to an 8:00 AM.

242
Public Domain Pictures

1. English: Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

English is one of those majors that everyone puts on their list. And I'm willing to bet most everyone has put strawberries on their shopping list at some point or another, because strawberries are the best fruit ever. However, no English major in their right mind thinks their decision is practical. There can be lots of bitterness involved, from others who knock them for their choice, and from the dastardly abyss that is writer's block and the complete inability to find a job. This is the rhubarb component. But when this pie is done correctly, it's one-of-a-kind... something all English majors should know they are.

2. Biology: Cheese Pie

Cheese pies are essentially cheesecakes with a fruit topping. I've met many people who swear by them as the most delicious creation on earth. Biology can be a similarly rewarding piece of dessert (ahem... life), as you can attribute many of the greatest innovations and groundbreaking research to it. The ingredients are fairly simple and few, like the building blocks of our DNAs. But there are infinite cheesecake recipes, something pie majors would probably learn first thing and something biology majors surely know is true about humans.

3. Nursing/Medicine: Cherry Pie

Medical matters can make for one of the most arduous majors out there. When you're young, you might play with a pretend stethoscope or put a little bandaid on the scuff mark on your stuffed animal. Those pursuing a nursing or other medical career know the real life equivalent can be an absolutely heartbreaking struggle sometimes. But these are people who can change and save lives, which is an incredibly sweet thing, exactly like a cherry pie. (I couldn't let this one go without pointing out the redness of cherries looks like blood... the latter is something these majors manage to stomach, and the former something everyone wants to have in their stomach.)

4. Psychology: Sweet Potato Pie

Sweet potatoes are bright orange and stand out in a crowd; they're another food item that, like strawberries, are ubiquitously known. But they can also be extremely divisive. This pie isn't for everyone, just like how many theories in the field are often contested and disputed, and how many people write psych majors off as "taking the easy road." To make a good sweet potato pie involves great care and intelligence, as psychology doubtless does, too.

5. Business/Finance: Chocolate Cream Pie

Professions in this field can definitely be very lucrative, that's for sure. And chocolate is an extremely decadent ingredient (now I want chocolate... be right back.) Whether or not you like it, business and finance matters are something that affect every single one of us. In order to truly succeed, the people who do major in this area have to have a very solid base of knowledge. Similarly, a chocolate cream pie needs a strong crust in order to hold together all that cocoa glory. Business and finance majors must also have a great depth of knowledge about many concepts, much like how a proper chocolate cream pie has layer upon layer of flavor.

6. Chemistry: Key Lime Pie

Limes are lemons' slightly more infamous cousins. They have a very uniquely tart, sharp tang to them that must be accurately countered by sweeter ingredients. Of course, I'm sure a lot of people think of chemistry majors as goggle-sporting people in lab coats mixing substances together until they blow up. And if you don't want to end up like Seamus Finnegan, a chem major surely needs to be precise and diligent. But this field also involves a great amount of complexity and subtleties that often go unnoticed. If life hands you limes, don't just rearrange the letters into "smile"... bake a stellar key lime pie and make everybody smile. With both chemistry in education and chemistry in the kitchen, patience and talent make for a wonderful result.

7. Engineering: Pumpkin Pie

Pumpkin pies are one of the most widely known pies. I've come across a lot of people who sign up for engineering; whether chemical, mechanical, electrical, or otherwise, it was an incredibly popular choice. To pursue engineering without a real passion for it is similar to creating a pumpkin pie that makes people say "eh." But a real engineering major eventually rises above the rest. and so do wicked awesome pumpkin pies. Maybe your pie won't make you turn "eh" into "engineering," but I bet it'll turn it into "thisissodeliciousholysh*t." A proper pumpkin pie is a cornerstone of many tables at Thanksgiving, and engineers are an integral part of our society and success.

8. Music: Shepherd's Pie

Perhaps you don't think of "savory" when you think of pies. Maybe you've also fallen victim to overlooking music as a legitimate major, or reminding those who pursue it that they stick out from the crowd. Let's be pie-fectly clear... sticking out from the crowd can be one of the greatest attributes an individual can have. Some of the most fascinating, fantastic people I've ever known are music majors. And behind the instrument, whether tangible or one's voice, is a whole world of complexities. It's a skill that some people (myself 101% included) will never possess. A savory pie like a shepherd's pie is a difficult undertaking, and not everyone can create a masterpiece. However, when properly executed, they're friggin' delicious and fill you up with warmth and happiness, just like music, and the people who make it, do.

9. Computer Science: Peanut Pie

Let's face it: you have to a be a little nutty to take on such a demanding, often frustrating major. Computer science majors have probably also heard their fair share of bad nerd puns (and now you can add mine to the list...) Peanuts have an outer shell you have to break through in order to find the yummy little reward inside; likewise, computer science often involves discovering how assembling various elements of code together yields the desired outcome. Peanuts also have a fairly strong salty flavor, and it takes a great deal of finesse to end up with a pie that doesn't taste like you mistook the sugar for the deceiving impostor. Computer science is often stereotyped as an analytical, monotonous major, but those who choose it are actually incredibly creative individuals who have artful visions and craft amazing products. Bam! Beautiful designs, beautiful pie. You'd have to be an idiot of elephantine proportions not to see the correlation (I'll stop with the puns now.)

10. Architecture: Lemon Meringue Pie

Lemon meringue pies are a delicate combination of a flaky yet sturdy crust, a smooth, silky layer of lemon curd, all topped with a tower of whipped egg white meringue. It's absolutely an architectural adventure. A lemon meringue pie would just look sad an unappetizing were the crust not perfectly browned, the curd that bright, zingy yellow, and the meringue under-beaten, meaning that the fluffy crowning glory is a gloopy mess and the pie looks more like Humpty Dumpty post falling too his doom. Architecture majors obviously must be meticulous and able to visualize structures from the blueprint to the final masterpiece. Additionally, some of the most beautiful sights in the world are those of incredible architectural feats. The combination of the logical and the creative in one human being is truly astounding. Lemon meringue pies are also usually finished with a blowtorch, and I'm more than willing to bet architecture majors make the prettiest pies.

11. Math: Apple Pie

These delectable treats are easily the best known pie, and therefore considered simple and easy. But apple pies are deceivingly difficult. The ingredients must be perfectly balanced and combined in order to produce the real deal, like the exacting measurements and equations involved with math. Even a small miscalculation, like using the wrong type of apple, adding too much cinnamon, (gesundheit) or having too thick of a crust can result in a mathematical monstrosity of an epicurious endeavor. Plus, don't pretend to ignore the fact that pie sounds exactly like π. That's just too obvious not to mention. I don't think it's a coincidence, either. P.S. The only right answer, really, is grandma's apple pie. Just saying.

12. Communications: Peach Pie

Communications is yet another major I've commonly heard people disparage as far less challenging and worthwhile than numerous others. Well, let me communicate something very clearly. It's the total opposite. There are multiple facets to the study, including that of linguistics and human languages in general, both verbal and nonverbal. So not only do comm majors have to decipher the twists and turns of languages (yet another reason why we English majors are an insane yet intelligent breed... why else would we study the world's most ridiculous language?) This involves such patience and attention to detail. Peaches have pits like rocks; similarly, deciphering everything necessary to be proficient in communications can seem like an insurmountable obstacle. But once you carve away the core, they're worth it. Communications is an invaluable field to human advancement and unity, like how a peach pie is invaluable to your taste buds.

13. Journalism: Blueberry Pie

Blueberries aren't really blue on the inside, those sneaky little things. And journalism isn't just another liberal arts major to be tossed aside in the "lesser" pile (there seems to be a theme here... hmm) Instead, it belongs in the "deceptively difficult" category. Writing a compelling piece isn't remotely easy as pie. Journalism majors must also have an eye for quality, accuracy, and tiny little details. Blueberries are one of the smallest fruits, and they can be horribly bitter if not chosen correctly. But when a blueberry pie is executed properly, you won't be able to take your eyes off it, just like an excellent piece by an excellent journalism major.

14. Theater: Mince Pie

Mince pies have been around for centuries, and so has the art of theater. Traditionally, these pies are filled with currants and suet. Maybe those sound like pretty unusual ingredients to you. Maybe deciding to major in theater also sounds pretty unusual to you. Perhaps it is. But theater majors are supremely bold, passionate, special people, just like how a proper mince pie is filled with a great depth of flavor. They make you feel all warm inside, like a particularly moving performance might. And they hail from the UK, which I've heard is just a little (a lot) reputed for famous and celebrated for its ties to theater.

15. Accounting: Banana Cream Pie

Personally, I think you've got to be a little bananas to pursue something this convoluted and frustrating (the joke had to be made.) That just proves how prevalent the stereotype that accounting, and its majors, are boring enough to put you to sleep even before doing your taxes will. Banana cream pies may look pretty plain from the outside; they're usually covered with a simple, uniform layer of whipped cream, and the color of bananas is hardly vibrant. But what lies beneath the surface is a tasty surprise. I know a lot of people who don't like bananas (myself included), yet somehow, they still swear by banana cream pies as one of the best things they've ever eaten. Accounting majors might not be the most celebrated, and their field not the most popular, but these are some of the kindest, most hardworking people out there, and they can prove their talent much like their pie alter ego.

16. Classics: Pecan Pie

Is it "pe-can" or "peh-kahn"? The world may never know. And without classics majors, much of what we know about ancient history might have otherwise been forgotten or never discovered. Equally as indecipherable as the proper pronunciation of "pecan" are the languages that Classics majors must learn. Pecan pies have been around for a long time and are fairly rudimentary in their construction. The subjects classics majors study trace back to the beginnings of much of what exists today; perhaps all the pies on this list are included in that. Additionally, pecan pie is made with molasses, reputed for being slower than a sloth. Classics might sometimes seem like a dense, endless conglomeration of information, but it's pretty damn sweet, much like these pies molasses, when you unlock something from the past.

17. Food Science: The Pie that No Longer Exists Because it was So Delicious it was Gone in Seconds

Duh.