A World Not So Different From Yours

A World Not So Different From Yours

For the college students and soon-to-be college students who want to binge watch a Netflix show, binge watch something that is funny and will help you get through college!

5
A World Not So Different From Yours
Carsey and Werner Television

Ever find yourself scrolling on Netflix trying to figure out what to binge watch next? Well, if you’re a college student or a soon-to-be college student, I highly recommend "A Different World.” Now, if you’ve never heard of the show, just be aware that it came out in the late 80s and stayed on until the early 90s, so some of the material seen will be a little outdated. But I recommend this show because it's a very good representation of problems you will face in college, especially for minority students. Some of the problems are minor, such as figuring out which professor you think may be easier for you to other minor problems such as getting acquainted with a new roommate. However, there are major problems that are present as well. For example, facing prejudice issues and talking about sexual assault.

The show is a sitcom that was a spin-off of "The Cosby Show" and aired for six seasons. The first season of the show starred Denise Huxtable from "The Cosby Show" and showed her life in college. Once she left the cast, the show kind of took a different turn. For example, the first season addressed issues that happen in college, but not anything really controversial. The first season was like a trial season for the show. There were problems that were being addressed but nothing that would make you think outside of the box. But the seasons after the first one addressed more social, political, economic and debatable issues.

Each episode was funny like any normal sitcom, but all throughout the show you were getting a taste of real life. If you want to dip your feet in the water and try a few episodes, I recommend the following 10.

1. "Reconcilable Differences" (Season 1, Episode 1)
This is the first episode of the entire show and it talks about Denise’s first few days in college and how she feels about her new Roommate Jalessa. Jalessa is an older student who is starting college at the age of 26.

2. "Clair’s Last Stand" (Season 1, Episode 19)
Denise’s mother pays a visit to Hillman College (the college the show is based off of) and finds out about Denise’s grades and her slacking in school. She tells her that she can’t study abroad. Her mother also tells her she must get a summer job to pay for her expenses.

3. "Dr. War Is Hell" (Season 2, Episode 1)
One of the main characters, Dwayne, is reluctant to take calculus with a certain professor on campus because he heard rumors of how hard the professor was.

4. "Two Gentlemen of Hillman" (Season 2, Episode 2)
Dwayne and his best friend partner up for a term paper but little does Dwayne realize partnering with his best friend can sometimes cause trouble.

5. "It Happened One Night" (Season 2, Episode 11)
Kim believes that she is pregnant and tries to figure out what she should do since she’s still in college.

6. "No Means No" (Season 2, Episode 20)
Freddie plans a date with a baseball player on the team and Dwayne has to save her from sexual assault.

7. "Pride and Prejudice" (Season 3, Episode 14)
Whitley goes shopping for her father at an expensive jewelry store and experiences prejudice from one of the cashiers.

8. "If I Should Die Before I Wake" (Season 4, Episode 23)
This episode addresses a student who is HIV positive

9. Mammy Dearest (Season 5, Episode 11)
This episode of the show addresses stereotypical roles black women have been associated with through time.

10. "Cats In The Cradle" (Season 5, Episode 14)
Dwayne and Ron experience racism first hand.

Each one of the episodes above talks about an issue you or someone you know has gone through in college or will go through. Some of the earlier episodes are little minor problems many college students will go through, but some of the later episodes address major issues some of you will probably not have to deal with. These are just a few of many episodes that can take your mind to higher places. I hope some of you will adventure off into something that could open your eyes into something great.