4 Things Every Retail Worker Learns In Their First Week On The Job

Patience is a virtue.

145
@forever21

It's Black Friday. 8 A.M. People are running after that must-have item that they truly don't need. You're ringing out customers as fast as you can, trying to smile through the fact that you've had to pee for at least 40 minutes. Even though you are doing your best to keep the line moving, there is a line straight out the door. Your hands are scanning things so quickly that you find yourself wondering if this qualifies as an Olympic sport.

Suddenly, one of the customers screams out "GOD COULD YOU BE ANY SLOWER?" You apologize to the customer for her wait and ask her how her day was. She becomes angrier and tells you to talk less, and ring faster. At that moment, you suddenly gain the motivation to do your homework and study for your test. You've got to get your degree, you've got to get out of here. You also still really have to pee.

Retail is the go-to first job. Yes, it is also very hard to find the patience and stamina within you to do your job to the best ability. Over the course of three years, I have worked at many different kinds of retail stores. I currently work fulltime as a manager at a drugstore, and occasionally (once a month) as a merchandiser at a clothing store. I have learned so much over the past few years, and have tried to stay positive. Even though it can be hard sometimes, I've learned some pretty real lessons.

1. Sometimes, people aren't ever going to be happy.

No matter how many times you adjust the price, who they talk to, or how long you listen to them complain, some people are stuck in a permanent angry mood. This used to bother me, as I am the kind of person who is really emotional and caring. However, if you take what customers say too seriously, you'll end up stressing yourself out. It's not worth it. I'm still waiting for the glorious day where someone asks to speak to the manager and I get to say "You're speaking to her."

2. People are gross, don't be like this please!

As a manager, I now have to clean the bathrooms. I don't think I fully grasped how nasty some people can be until I did this.

One day, I went in to clean the bathrooms and found a Honeybun in the toilet with the wrapper. I couldn't believe my eyes. How could someone steal a honeybun purely to throw it in the toilet? I've also found diapers on the floor, blood, and TONS of packaging for stolen merchandise.

When I worked full-time at a clothing store, one of my responsibilities was to clean the dressing rooms. People left all kinds of things in there. I used to think "They must just think we have this extra rack out here to look pretty." Piles of clothing, dirty clothing they swapped out for new ones. It never ended. The sales floor was also a complete mess. I would fold entire tables of shirts and watch one person go over and mess it up. I died a little every time.

Now every time I go into a store as a customer, I am sure to put things on designated racks.

3. Weird is normal

My first day on the job at the drugstore I work at, a woman came in to print some pictures on the photo kiosk. My boss had told me she was a regular, but she was foreign to me. When I was processing her transaction, she told me she makes photo collages of colorful flowers and sells them. She had seen them on TV, she said. I thought nothing of it until I went to count the pictures to know how much to charge her for. These pictures of "flowers" she was using to make collages were actually pictures of marijuana plants.

I've been flirted with, I've watched people pass out, I've been cursed at...it's all a days work when it comes to retail. But this was certainly a first.

4. Staying positive is key.

I've met some of my greatest friends through retail jobs. These jobs are whatever you make them out to be. They can be tedious at times when people are rude or leave messes. But they also can teach you a lot. The more positive you are, the better the customers will feel and act. Also, managers look for positivity. You could find yourself promoted if you act in a nice manner.

Overall, I've learned so much from my retail jobs. I've learned that yes, some people suck. On the flip side, though, some customers are so kind and wise that you can learn from them. I also have learned patience, and how to talk to people. Retail jobs prepare you for other jobs in higher level workplaces. They are tough, but in the end, it is irreplaceable experience and knowledge.