Working Hard, But Hardly Living.

Working Hard, But Hardly Living.

Why do we do this?

43
Working Hard, But Hardly Living.

I realize that I use this platform as more of a journal. I suppose that I feel my experiences are relatable in general. I write a lot about equality, identity, and maintaining a balance in your life of necessities and adventure. Currently, I'm struggling to find that balance.

Why do we do this? Millennials in general have a hard time turning down an opportunity. I've always had trouble saying no to someone who asks for help. I'm currently working multiple jobs, am a full time student, and I'm currently acting in a production.

I know a lot of people my age that are in the same predicament. I can only speak for myself when I try to understand this. I grew up in a white, middle class family. I was told that I wouldn't have to work until after college and that I would be financially supported through it--and all of that is true, but I've chosen to take multiple jobs.

Why? I know that people are not as fortunate as me and I want to compensate for that. I want to be able to give back to the community and to my family. I want to be able to support myself and my partner, even though she is older and well in her career. I want to be able to live at least mildly comfortably without asking for help. I think that's a part of the human condition--to be able to be financially independent and to give to others. It makes us happy and it makes us feel important.

Millennials today work so many hours a week--more than any other generation. Why are we told that we are lazy? I'm astounded by that. Why are we put down for supposedly not doing anything with our lives? I'm struggling to find a balance. I don't get any time to unwind when I get home. When I get home, I eat and do homework and go to sleep. Then, I wake up early to go to school, then go directly to work, then I do a show, and then go home. How am I lazy? How am I not contributing to society? I'm legitimately confused. The cost of living and the cost of education does not equate with the pay and costs years ago, when the people calling us lazy we're working. Should these people be educated more about this? How could they not be aware--what else do we need to do?

Please let me know. Share this message, spread this message--let's come up with an answer. Why do we do this to ourselves? Why can't there be a balance in our minds and in our bank accounts?