How to Get Back to the Gym After a Break

Slow and sluggish, you've found yourself struggling to get back into the groove.

343

If the only workout you've done over the past few weeks is beating yourself up for being lazy, it's time to forgive and move on. Here's how to get up, establish a fitness routine, and stay motivated long past waning New Year's resolutions. (There's always time, I promise.)

Start small.

c1.staticflickr.com

So, you haven't lifted a weight since the week before Halloween? Honestly, same. The first week you're easing back into exercising, start small. Know that any movement is good movement. Commit to doing 10 minutes of an exercise video or walking for exercise three days this week. This will help you establish behaviors and create the habit you want to have in place.

...and Begin with what works for you!

images.pexels.com

Fitness experts and doctors alike often say the "best exercise" is the one you enjoy and will keep doing. If you hate boot camp workouts or can't see yourself making a weekly commitment to yoga, move on to something you'll look forward to showing up for. That workout could be a dance class, Spinning, ballet-inspired barre workouts, or walking with friends. You want to make this experience as pleasant as possible.

Make a new habit. 

https://pixabay.com/en/workout-racing-bike-bicycle-bike-713658/

If you can nail down a few fitness habits—whether that's getting up a few mornings a week or even showing up to the gym when you don't feel like it—you're more likely to be successful. Once your mental game is on point and established, the physical aspect of following through with your intentions will be easier.

Find a friend who motivates you. 

Reformer Pilates Photography Couples Arm Exercise by Runway Pilates

If you'd rather share the starting line, find a friend who is also looking to get back into a regular routine. Find a friend who is already working out and has a routine. That person can be a key motivator. Workout buddies unite!

Finally, Set Goals to Keep Yourself Motivated. 

upload.wikimedia.org

My personal fave is using sticky notes to make my goals and plans for the day. When you don't feel like exercising, remind yourself of how good you'll feel during or after exercise. If you can begin to associate being active with pleasure and how good you feel as a result of it, you'll be more inclined to stick to your exercise routine.

Remember, it's OK to feel overwhelmed at times. Don't get discouraged, you got this!