Why Yes, You Should Work In College

Why Yes, You Should Work In College

A part-time job will only hold you back if you let it.

106
Why Yes, You Should Work In College

Perhaps it’s because of the city I came from, or the family that raised me, but I have never considered not working as an option. I have worked at four different places since I was 15, and if I ever had to quit (for example, when I first moved into college), I always made sure I was actively applying and interviewing for a new one.

As I made more and more friends throughout the years, the number of college students that actually work throughout the school year has always caught me off guard.

For someone like myself, I see it as essential and therefore wrongly assume that everyone around me carries that perspective as well. An explanation for this may be that many students feel they will fall behind in their studies if they were to pick up some part-time work.

But I’m here to tell you that the pros of having a job outweigh the downsides. I am thankful for the companies that have offered me the opportunity to work for them. From them, I have gained friends, stability, an understanding of responsibility, and the value of money.

Of course, we shouldn’t expect college students to work 40 hours a week while balancing a heavy workload and attempting to stay involved.

However, 15 hours a week leaves us with plenty of time to excel academically while making some pocket change. The experience of working is vital for bringing us into the real world post-graduation, all while providing you with a set of varying skills that you will acquire during your time there. Many students have the luxury of not having to work, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t.

Holding a part-time job will leave you with a feeling of independence. By not relying on your parents, you come to terms with the value of your paycheck and spend it wisely, rather than carelessly. There is nothing wrong with finding a balance between fun, academics, and work, and those that do are already beginning to set a foundation for building strong character.