Words Of The Fitzgeralds That Will Make Your Heart Cry

3234
The Guardian

F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda Fitzgerald are one of my favorite literary couples of all time due to their extremely romantic works and quotes. Their marriage was not without its flaws, but it made for a few beautiful lines worth sharing in honor of Valentine’s Day. The Fitzgerald’s gave the world strings of words sewn together by their own passion, destruction, and love.

F. Scott Fitzgerald

"The Beautiful and the Damned"

“I don’t want just words. If that’s all you have for me, you’d better go.”

“She was dazzling -- alight; it was agony to comprehend her beauty in a glance.”

"Dear Scott, Dearest Zelda: The Love Letters of F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald"

“I love her, and that's the beginning and end of everything.”

"Flappers and Philosophers"

“I won’t kiss you. It might get to be a habit and I can’t get rid of habits.”

"The Great Gatsby"

“There are all kinds of love in this world but never the same love twice.”

“He looked at her the way all women want to be looked at by a man.”

"Tender is the Night"

“You're the only girl I've seen for a long time that actually did look like something blooming.”

"This Side of Paradise"

“There is a moment -- Oh, just before the first kiss, a whispered word -- something that makes it worthwhile.”

“They slipped briskly into an intimacy from which they never recovered.”

"Short Stories"

“I want to know you moved and breathed in the same world with me.”

“She was beautiful, but not like those girls in the magazines. She was beautiful, for the way she thought. She was beautiful, for the sparkle in her eyes when she talked about something she loved. She was beautiful, for her ability to make other people smile, even if she was sad. No, she wasn't beautiful for something as temporary as her looks. She was beautiful, deep down to her soul. She is beautiful.”

Zelda Fitzgerald

“I love you, even if there isn’t any me, or any love, or even any life. I love you.”

“I don't want to live -- I want to love first, and live incidentally.”

“My dear, I think of you always and at night, I build myself a warm nest of things I remember and float in your sweetness till morning.”

“Living is cold and technical without you, a death mask of itself.”

"Save Me a Waltz"

“There seemed to be some heavenly support beneath his shoulder blades that lifted his feet from the ground in ecstatic suspension as if he secretly enjoyed the ability to fly but was walking as a compromise to convention.”

“She felt the essence of herself pulled finer and smaller like those streams of spun glass that pull and stretch till there remains but a glimmering illusion. Neither falling nor breaking, the stream spins finer. She felt herself very small and ecstatic. Alabama was in love.”

“Thanks again for saving me. Someday, I’ll save you too.”

“I love you anyway -- even if there isn't any me or any love or even any life -- I love you.”

“There’s nothing in all the world I want but you and your precious love. All the material things are nothing. I’d just hate to live a sordid, colorless existence because you’d soon love me less and less and I’d do anything -- anything -- to keep your heart for my own. I don’t want to live -- I want to love first, and live incidentally… Don’t -- don’t ever think of the things you can’t give me. You’ve trusted me with the dearest heart of all -- and it’s so damn much more than anybody else in all the world has ever had.”

“Why is there happiness and comfort and excitement where you are and nowhere else in the world?”

“The sky lay over the city like a map showing the strata of things and the big full moon toppled over in a furrow like the abandoned wheel of a gun carriage on a sunset field of battle and the shadows walked like cats and I looked into the white and ghostly interior of things and thought of you and I looked on their structural outsides and thought of you and was lonesome.”