Sorry, But 'I Don’t Care About Politics' Is Not A Valid Excuse For NOT Voting

The younger generation of voters is so crucial to the upcoming election because our vote is going to shape the world that we are about to enter as adults.

46594

When I ask my friends if they are voting this term most of them respond with "no" followed by an explanation of "I don't care enough," "It doesn't affect me," or "I don't keep up with politics," etc. I get it, as a college student I know that there are many other things to be concerned about like school, relationships, work, and friends. I also understand that keeping up with politics can seem like trying to keep up with an over-exaggerated reality show that has way too many seasons. Not to mention most news stations and websites are biased so it's hard to decipher if what you hear is true or fake.

However, despite all of this annoyance, as the next generation of Americans, we have to remember that we owe it to ourselves, our families, and to our futures to care.

Here are some reasons that you should reconsider voting.

1. Politics do affect us.

We are no longer high school students living with our parents. We are now college students studying to get a job, start a family, and be financially independent. The people who hold office and the policies they endorse are going to affect the job market, economy, student debt, and the environment which will all in fact have a direct impact on us.

2.We should vote because we have the privilege.

We often take it for granted that we have the ability to vote and forget that many people from other countries don't have that same luxury. If nothing else, vote because you are lucky enough to have that right and start the habit of voting because small elections matter, too!

3.Voting does make a difference.

The younger generation of voters is so crucial to the upcoming election because our vote is going to shape the world that we are about to enter as adults. Also, if young people and students don't show that their vote is important, politicians wont concern themselves with our needs. The more representation in the polls the more impact our voice has!

4. You can vote for policies and ideas, not just the candidate.

Yes, I've heard many times that people aren't voting because they do not like either candidate. I am not saying I disagree, but nevertheless you should still vote if not for the candidate then for the policies and laws they endorse. The president is not the only person in office that makes decisions, and in fact, the people they support and appoint to other offices are just as important — if not more important.

* * *

Here is a link that will explain to you how to vote as a college student and please remember to vote even if you're really hungover and have a test the next day :)))))