No, I Won't Put My Phone Down

No, I Won't Put My Phone Down

Stop assuming I'm being unproductive.

135
No, I Won't Put My Phone Down
Tech Juice

Older generations have no problem telling us to put our phones away without even bothering to ask what we are doing. I can't even count the amount of times I've been told to get off my phone while I was actually doing something important. Now I know what you're probably thinking, is my text message to my best friend about a Facebook status I just saw what I call important? No. I'm talking about emailing professors. I'm talking about making sure I get paid that week. I'm talking about checking in on my sick family member while I have a second of free time to actually check. I may look rude being on my phone, but that doesn't mean I am doing something unproductive to keep me from getting bored.

Just because you won't take the time to understand it, doesn't mean it's not good.

Cell phones have come such a long way from when they first came out. A lot of adults learned At this point, they are basically mini computers. There isn't much you can do on a computer that you can't do on a smart phone. Ever been told to get off your computer? Probably not. To those of older generations who put us down for not putting our phones down, hear me out.

"Kids these days can't let go of their phone for a second, their eyes are glued to the screens 24/7."

We've all heard it. It is constantly being assumed that we are texting, sending snapchats, and playing games on our phones because we can't stand the thought of being disconnected for a second. Now I am not going to speak for everyone, because there are probably people who will make sure their snapchat sends before they bother to look both ways crossing the street. However, I will speak for those like me who have taken today's technology by the reins and bettered their life from it.

While you're assuming we're wasting our time...

We are emailing our boss about running late to work.

We are using the Google Docs app to finish typing up a paper due in 10 minutes.

We are making sure a friend got home safe.

We are using our calculator app to make sure we tip our waitress well.

We are submitting a timesheet online so we can get paid this week.

We are using the Maps app to figure out the fastest way to get where we are going.

We are wishing a family member across the country a happy birthday.

We are checking for the cheapest gas station in the area.

We are paying bills online.

We are letting our parents know we arrived safely.

We are checking the weather before we leave the house unprepared.

We are setting a reminder alert for homework due later.

We are donating to a Go Fund Me page seen on Facebook.

We are finding restaurants close by.

We are paying for our meal using Apple Pay.

We are searching cheap flights using the Kayak app.

We are tracking calorie intake after meals.

We are checking on a sick family member after their surgery.

We are depositing a check using mobile banking because the bank already closed.

We are reading today's latest headlines to keep track of our world.

We are filling prescriptions to pick up at the pharmacy later.

We are checking for coupons to save money.

I am not by any means trying to say that I don't scroll through my phone aimlessly every so often, but I am trying to prove that this is the common assumption when a cell phone is seen in a teenager's hand. Please stop assuming what we are doing on our phones is always pointless and can wait. Instead, take into consideration that what we are doing could be necessary for that point in time. I recommend trying to make the most of your life by taking advantage of the technology we have been given in this day in age. There are so many opportunities to better your life, and believe it or not, they are sitting in the palm of your hand.