Put Your Phone Down Right Now

Put Your Phone Down Right Now

17
Put Your Phone Down Right Now
Eric Pickersgill

As you're reading this, you're probably either a) bored in class, b) eating a meal, c) traveling somewhere or d) with people. Now while I thank you for reading my article, once you're finished, you should set your phone down for awhile. Try an hour. Then build up from there.

In October, you may have seen some photos being shared across the Internet from photographer Eric Pickersgill's series of photos from everyday life, but with all our beloved electronics removed. His project, Removed, was inspired by some observations he had one day in a local cafe. Wow—a cafe—the cliche place where people go to meet up, find their true love in the movies, get some work done or just people watch while sipping on some coffee. I saw glimpses of it while on a college campus, but being removed from the bubble of a campus, I see it every day: when I'm on the bus, when I'm walking around town, when I see a couple or family at dinner next to me or in the glass window as I am passing by on my stroll home. Technology: It's all around us. I'm not here to tell you that it doesn't make our lives more efficient (for the most part), or that it isn't needed in our evolvement as a human race. But I am going to tell you that our technology dependency has gotten a little out of hand.

Let me ask you a few questions:

1. When's the last time you went to bed without checking your newsfeed one last time?

2. When's the last time you found your way to a place without using Google Maps?

3. When's the last time you had a family meal with no phones allowed at the table?

4. Have you been texting and driving recently?

5. When's the last time you used an actual camera to take a picture?

6. When's the last time you devoted your attention to your kid?

7. Or the last time your phone didn't buzz while at dinner? (No DND does not count if you keep checking notifications)

8. You talked to that guy/girl at a party instead of pretending to be on your phone?

9. When's the last time you didn't feel this way?

10. When's the last time you did something without telling the whole world on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or the infamous Snapchat?

I could go on, but I think you get the point. If you've done any of the above recently, then I urge you to put down your phone for a little while. Write a letter to someone instead of emailing, texting or messaging. Better yet—see them in person and enjoy their presence rather than engulfed in whatever is going on in your own life or the lives of others on social media. It'll all still be there when you come back. Talk to that random person when you go out. You know, "The best relationships usually begin unexpectedly."

See the person in front of you. Stay in the present and challenge those around you to do the same.