Why Wonder Woman Is Important For Young Girls

Wonder Woman has made many box office accomplishments, but what about the potential impressions it left on the viewers?

905
WonderWomanFilm.com

For the past two weeks, "Wonder Woman" has dominated the box office. The movie itself has received a "92% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and has earned approximately 263.7 million USD." Since the movie's release, there has been some controversy, yet there are so many reasons why this movie is needed. The "Wonder Woman" movie provides a new female protagonist to inspire young girls in areas such as strength, determination, confidence, and breaking social norms.

After seeing the movie twice, I am awed by Diana's strength and determination. Throughout the film. she is adjusting to entering an unknown world, but she does not let the unknown sway her. She makes it clear throughout the story what her mission is and why it is important to her.

On multiple occasions, men are surprised by her actions and her accomplishments due to the fact that she is a woman. Even after seeing her amazing skills, some of her companions still question the truth behind her goal. Her growing love interest in the film, Steve Trevor, questions her despite traveling with her through more than half of the film.

For me, that was an emotional moment. The main person she has on this adventure still doesn't fully believe or support her. Diana does not let his lack of support hinder her from still trying to pursue her goal, though. She continues to go on based on what she knows is right. After realizing the truth, Steve Trevor and the others finally show her the support she deserves. Diana's character conveys to women and little girls that they can accomplish what they want on their own.

Many may doubt them, but it is their own perseverance that will see them through. This can prove to be an important life lesson when pursuing a career or furthering your education.

Throughout the film, Diana doesn't let the societal downfalls of that time period stop her. She is openly seen going against the norms and being curious about war meetings that consist of all men. Her character doesn't understand why women wear dresses, because they cannot fight in them. During the time of the movie, set during World War I, her place is at home and not in politics.

Some women, including a side character, she meets are secretaries, which based on Diana's history, appears to her like slavery. She whole-heartedly believes that women can fight and participate just as much as men. This baffles many of the male authoritative figures throughout the film. Her character conveys to young girls that they are capable of being in the same leaderships positions as men, and they can branch out to subjects that are not common for women. It encourages women to speak their mind, and pursue what they want despite the social construct. Diana doesn't let other peoples' opinions affect her.

In fact, she generally seems unbothered by the men's responses to her actions. This is a good reaction to have to anyone who is trying to put you down or stop you from achieving what you want.

When in her armor, Steve Trevor tells her to cover up because she is not wearing any clothes. This comes off as a moment of humor in the film. Diana comes from a place where her body isn't sexualized by the armor she is wearing. A group of men make comments towards Diana, to which she doesn't respond.

Many women today are sexualized based on what they wear. It is deemed distracting to men, and the woman must change clothes, instead of men changing their own vulgar behavior. There have been many issues about this seen in schools and in public across the U.S. Showing an angle where that behavior doesn't exist further, calls out how the behavior is socially constructed in today's society.

Seeing a female protagonist of a superhero movie is not very common. Besides her TV show, "Wonder Woman" is one of the characters that has yet to have had any other film adaptation from the comics. Many boys and men have looked up to DC Comics and Marvel heroes for many years. Some people may not see this as a big deal.

But while I was in the audience at both screenings, I was amazed at how many young girls immediately fell in love with the character. It made me fully believe that representation is important. Even many men and boys were impressed and thoroughly enjoyed the film. Comments of awe and amazement were heard from so many little girls at different points throughout the film. The movie gives them a character to connect to.

Many moms have taken to social media saying that the movie has inspired their daughter(s) to want to learn multiple languages like Diana, or that they're little girls have been pretending to be Amazons at recess. The movie was also shot by a female director. I believe that this is one of the reasons she was able to convey the female perspective so clearly. Female directors are also under-represented, as most famous ones are men.

The other superhero movies by Marvel and DC are great and I am a fan of those as well, yet nothing can compare to the feeling you get when you can relate to a person or character. This experience has shown me the impact of having strong women in power, in leadership roles and in the media. Representation is so important, especially for the young minds who will one day influence our world.

From Your Site Articles