Women's History Month
Politics

Women's History Month

a time to honour the extraordinary achievements

11
Women's History Month
Find My Past

Practically all the way up until the 1970s, women’s history was a subject not many were familiar with. This all changed when, in 1978, an Education Task Force in California launched a “Women’s History Week’’, to commemorate all the wonderful contributions and impacts women had on shaping society. Seeing as March 8th has been widely celebrated as ‘International Women’s Day’ since 1917, when women in Saint Petersburg went on strike that same day for ‘Bread and Peace’, March was declared a month for honoring the extraordinary achievements in 14 states, after which numerous other places around the world followed.

Even though it took a long while to receive any form of recognition, what was once a day, became a week and now a month. Women deserve to be celebrated 365 days a year, but the progress being made with new nations joining and more people becoming familiar with aspects of this specific type of history they might not have known, is to be applauded and seen as a sign of true growth in society’s views. It should inspire us to educate ourselves and others on how gender equality can be further achieved and improved. In order to welcome the start of the month, here are some empowering quotes to inspire you to get out there and talk about these issues:

1. ‘’When women and girls are empowered to participate fully in society, everyone benefits.’’ - Melinda Gates
  2. ‘’So the work continues. And for all the young women in this room, all the young men, we can never be complacent. Because we have seen in recent times how quickly things can be taken if we aren’t vigilant, if we don’t know our history, if we don’t continue the work.’’ - Michelle Obama
  3. ‘’I have to laugh, how can women not be equal, they’re like half, like women are like half of the people on Earth, and yes, they should’ve been equal since birth, that means all day, every day, equal pay, every way, OK?’’ - Lin-Manuel Miranda
  4. ’I raise up my voice - not so I can shout, but so that those without a voice can be heard...we cannot succeed when half of us are held back.’’ - Malala Yousafzai
  5. ‘’A gender-equal society would be one where the word ‘gender’ doesn’t exist: where everyone can be themselves.’’ - Gloria Steinem