Equal Pay for Equal Work

Equal Pay for Equal Work

28

The US Women's National Soccer Team (USWNT) recently filed a lawsuit demanding equal pay as the men's national team. There are several reasons why the fact that the teams already do not make equal income is outrageous and infuriating. Not to mention the cheaper hotels and less lavish travelling accommodations that the women's team endures compared to the male team.

1. They play the same game. They have the same job. A man and a woman in a business that have the same position are legally required to make the same regardless of gender. The same should apply to our nation's soccer teams.

2. The women's team raked in more money than the men's team in 2015 for the US Soccer Federation.

3. Why did the USWNT generate more revenue than the men's team? Because they are better. The women won the World Cup in 2015, 1991 and 1999 and can't even get first-class seating on flights? That is not right. Especially considering the men have yet to reach a World Cup semi-final.

Here are some raw numbers. Chew on these for awhile. I'm sure you will reach the same conclusion that this wage disparity is unacceptable.

Both soccer teams are required to play 20 exhibition games per year.

A. Pay per player per game.... Women: $3600 Men: $5000

B. Yearly pay if all 20 games are won (includes bonus for winning).... Women: $99,000

Men: $263,320

C. World Cup bonuses per player if World Cup is won.... Women: $75,000 Men: $390,625

I commend the USWNT for taking a stand that should be rightfully taken for the wage disparity in their sport when compared to the men and hope that the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) hears this case fairly and acts in favor of justice.