7 Physical Symptoms Women with PCOS Relate To

Painful sex? Yup. Facial hair? Yup. Adult Acne? Yup.

256
Clem Onojeghuo

What in the world is PCOS? Quite literally it means, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome – a hormonal issue which affects a large span of women all over the world. It is characterized by the affecting the androgen, insulin, and progesterone hormones. There are many symptoms to the women affected by this syndrome, including:

1. Cramps

Before, during, and after your period. These can be sharp and intense or dull and can occur at random times during your cycle. Cramps are a painful and common part of the life of someone with PCOS.

2. Painful sex

Sex. Something that could’ve been frequent and rather enjoyable part of your life is now extremely uncomfortable and painful. Pain with bleeding and cramping can cause a lack of sexual interest in those with PCOS.

3. Acne

As teenagers we all experience acne, but once we hit our early- to mid-twenties most of the hormones imbalances that cause acne go away. Unless you suffer from PCOS, in which case you can still have painful cystic acne and stubborn break outs that cannot be tamed. I went on a powerful acne medication called Accutane and still suffer from stubborn break outs.

4. Facial hair

As a woman this is something no one wants. Facial hair. Having an electric facial razor helps to keep the annoying facial hair at bay.

5. YOUR HAIR FALLS OUT

Growing hair on your face, and now the hair you want to keep is falling out. What. Is. Going. On. A small amount of hair loss during washing or brushing is completely normal, but large clumps that come out in the shower or on the sink can be attributed to PCOS

6. Dry skin and cirrhosis

This one is a doosey. I suffer from dry patches on my neck, arms, and thighs. These itchy red patches are called cirrhosis and can become unsightly and painful and are more common than you’d think among those who have PCOS.

7. Ultra uncomfortable ultrasounds

If you have PCOS and suffer from cysts on your ovaries you probably know what I mean. Internal ultrasounds. And if you don’t know what I mean, it’s a long stick like wand they insert into your vagina to take a look at your ovaries and diagnose or check on any cysts.

These physical symptoms do not occur in all cases and are my personal experience with PCOS and that of my friends and family who suffer with it.

If you or someone you know is struggling with the symptoms of PCOS or would like to find out if they have it, please contact your doctor to schedule an appoint or visit http://www.pcosaa.org