Real Advice (From Women) On Avoiding Sexual Assault

A seemingly never complete list of ways to protect yourself from sexual assault.

15

With sex trafficking, rape, and sexual assault cases on the rise all over the world, it's hard to feel secure anywhere as a woman. Here is some advice from fellow females on how to stay safe or protect yourself in the case of an attack.

"I ALWAYS keep my location on with family and friends, telling someone when I have to go anywhere alone." -DM

"Every time I sell something online, I text my parents the buyer's name and where/when I plan on meeting them. I take my dog and pepper spray with me and let my parents know when I get home." -TD

"If you feel like someone is following you, find a group of people and run up like you know them, and explain to them why you are doing this." - LB

Image from Google

"Never leave the initial place of contact. If they have a gun they usually won't shoot where people are, so fight to stay where they found you." - MB

"If I'm walking to my car late at night, I'll call someone to talk to until I'm at my car and can safely leave." -AR

"If someone follows you to your car, get in the passenger seat and lock the doors. It makes it look like someone is waiting for you, or you're waiting for someone else." - MB

"If someone grabs you, go for their eyes, and always carry something you can defend yourself with like an umbrella, purse, or pepper spray." - KS

"When you get near your car and someone is following you, hit the alarm button. They won't want the attention." - MB

"I use the app Tego, it's free and notifies friends/family when you arrive at your destination. It even allows you to video stream as you walk." - EH

"Make eye contact with men or strange people around you. It lets them know you're paying attention to your surroundings and likely to put up a fight." - EC

"If you notice something in your windshield wipers when you get to your car and there's another car near you, drive to a safe location to investigate it." - HM

"If you get attacked in your home, scream for your dad, boyfriend, or a male's name. It could make the attacker think a male is in the home." - PW

"Keep "masculine items" in plain sight if you live alone, such as shoes or a shirt, so it appears that a male lives there too." - AC

"Lock your doors while pumping gas so someone can't climb in or steal anything." - SC

"If there's a sketchy car parked next to yours with someone in it, enter your car through the opposite side so they can't grab you easily." -HK

"When using Uber/Lyft, ask the driver who they're there for what their name is instead of you giving them your name." -VN

"Don't wear your hair in a ponytail or wear a hoodie when walking alone at night. These are easy ways for an attacker to grab you." - MM

"Drive to a police or fire station if you think someone is following you, don't go home." - MB

"Never leave your drink unattended and never accept a drink if you didn't see it get poured or opened." - CD

"If you're attacked, scream fire, not rape. People care more if it impacts their safety too." - LR

"At night sleep with your car keys near your bed, so if somebody tries to break in you can set your car alarm off and it scares them away." - AB

"Be careful listening to earbuds or talking on the phone at night, make sure you're paying attention to your surroundings and stay alert. If you're just on your phone, you look more distracted and that makes you an easy target." - RP

Photo from Google

"If you are suspicious of someone, look them in the eye and ask a simple question. This gives you a voice and clear view of their face to identify them, making them less likely to attack." - LR

This one is very, very important, and one I'm sure we have all heard many times…

"If you are sexually assaulted, as tempting as it is, do not shower. Go to the hospital. They can collect DNA without making you file a report, and can store the evidence for up to 6 months if you decide to press charges." - TH

The world we live in can be terrifying, and knowing the best action to take in these kinds of situations can save your life. There are many more methods of protecting yourself, including taking self-defense classes, carrying protective devices such as tasers and pepper spray, and being aware of your surroundings. Your life is a very valuable thing, so make sure you know how to protect it. *Initials used to protect identities, responses edited for clarity.*