I Am A Woman And I Don't Need Your Apology
Politics

I'm not a Republican or a Democrat, this is an article about doing what is right.

26

Here’s the thing. I’m not a fan of either of the presidential candidates that we had this year. I don’t think really anyone was, but they have this preconceived notion that they “have to take sides,” and once they do, they think there is no going back. To be honest, I am 20 years old and I don’t think I am really educated enough to pick sides just yet. My parents pay for basically everything I own. I don’t pay taxes, I am not paying for my own college. I am not suppressed by anyone. So really, it’s fine to form an opinion. Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, but I am not exactly one that will be drastically affected by this election. The people that are paying for me to live like this will be affected.

Maybe I am not educated enough to be writing this article. But then again, no one is forcing you to read it. It’s my opinion, I have the right to form one, remember?

However, there is something I do have an issue with. And it’s a big issue.

Stop saying you feel sorry for me now that Donald Trump is President, just because I am a woman.

First of all, the majority of the people telling me that they are sorry, aren’t even women. So how exactly do you know what it is like to be a woman? Stop saying you feel sorry for anyone that isn’t a white male.

Newsflash: this isn’t new. If you are a white male in this country, you have pretty much always had the upper hand. The laws and behavior exhibited in years past have shown us this. Donald Trump becoming President doesn’t make that anymore or any less apparent.

I don’t like Donald Trump and I don’t like Hillary Clinton. Just because he’s a good business man and just because she is a woman doesn’t make them special, or good at what they do. They both have done some pretty terrible things and I wish there was a door number three option that appeared last minute to save us all.

But there wasn’t.

Donald Trump is going to be our next President. And you’re going to have to deal with it. You don’t like it? That’s fine, but stop saying you’re going to move to Canada, stop violently protesting and stop acting like you are near death because somebody different than you is in charge now.

Saying you will move to Canada is extremely un-American, and violently protesting backs it up even more. You are allowed to have an opinion, but you must also listen to others as well. Because you are making his case even more.

You can call Republicans arrogant all day long, you can call Republicans all kinds of hateful words. But you are proving their point, and they won because of that. You are doing exactly what you have been accusing them of. Talk about arrogant.

I’m not a Republican and I’m not a Democrat. See, I read my history textbooks when I was in school, and George Washington warned us of how self-destructive political parties are if they are formed. AND THIS IS WHY.

I believe in what is right. That is my party. So far, no one has been right.

But for the love of God, stop sending me your condolences. I don’t need your pity.

I am a woman, and I am going to be just fine. Just because Donald Trump has become president doesn’t mean I’m suddenly going to have to stay in the kitchen and wear an apron. He may want that; I don’t really know what he wants. I don’t think anyone does. But he has to jump through a lot of governmental hoops before he can pass anything saying, “Women have no rights.”

The media has got to stop twisting the story. Reporters are supposed to remain objective, and tell all sides of the story. Whether you’re Republican or Green Party, anyone can agree that the media is twisting the stories they receive, and have been since Hillary and Donald announced their running. And that’s what is wrong. That aggravates the issues at hand.

I don’t need you to feel sorry for me and I don’t need you to apologize. If you feel so bad for me, start with fighting for my rights. Fight for how less I am paid compared to men; for how many sexual assault cases have gone uncounted for by women. Fight for the women in third world countries who are sold and traded in sex trafficking rings. Fight for the women who are beaten and shushed into obedience in their marriage, relationships and partnerships. THAT’S WHAT YOU SHOULD FEEL SORRY FOR. It’s already going on —Donald Trump has not created those things and neither has Hillary Clinton. Those issues have been happening and still are.

So whenever you are protesting peacefully on your campus, that’s fine and all. But what are you doing to help? Do you volunteer at shelters and events for the less fortunate? Do you donate your time and efforts to those who need it? Do you make donations to whatever organizations you can? Do you see something wrong going on, and do you speak up for those who cannot? Chances are, you aren’t. But you sure do love to offer an opinion on it.

You can tweet your emotions all day, but until you’re actually trying to solve the problem, you are the problem. Think about that.