I Wish I Grew Up In A Bilingual Home

I Wish I Grew Up In A Bilingual Home

Because there are so many more languages to learn.

219
Brookee Brennan (Persona Photo)
IG: @brookeebrennan

When I would tell Europeans that in America we were only taught English, they would make a bunch of remarks about how strange they thought it was to only know one language. And in all honesty, I agree. Why is it that I only speak one language here in America, but finding someone who speaks English on any street in Europe would only take a mere minute or two? It's too common and I wish it wasn't.

As did just about every other student, I took a Spanish class or two in high school. However, language classes in high school do not teach you real conversational skills, so it doesn't count for much (sorry to my high school Spanish teachers because they were amazing). Then, I lived in Spain for one year. That was when I truly started to pick up and understand Spanish, of which I used to think was impossible until that point. Learning a new language is not easy by any means. It takes time and a lot of practice. You have to watch tv shows, listen to music, read books, and actually have conversations. You have to dedicate some time every day to practice your new language, which means that you shouldn't be afraid to try! Once you start to understand, you will start having thoughts and even dreams in both languages.

While living abroad only speaking English and the basics of Spanish, language barriers did pose challenges. Luckily for me, English is commonly spoken around the world. I was able to experience first-hand people from all different countries and backgrounds who were able to speak two, three, or even up to four languages. They would switch between languages like it was no big deal, so fluently and so easily. For example, every person I met in Morocco was able to speak French, Spanish, English, and dialects of Arabic. Children in Europe are taught a second language, most often English, starting in elementary school. By the time they are in high school, they are just about bilingual.

I was able to volunteer at a local high school while helping out in their English classes. I would work with the students on their projects, expand their English vocabulary, and practice their speaking skills. These kids were wonderfully fluent in English and could even understood most of the slang. Eventually, it became so much fun to go because we became friends with the students and would make jokes both in English and in Spanish. It amazed me how young and intelligent the kids were. Their desire to want to learn a second, and sometimes a third, language and the amount of effort they put in really inspired me to want to do the same. And thanks to them, I learned a great amount of Spanish!

There are endless benefits of speaking more than one language. Learning a new language opens your mind up to creative thinking in new ways. Studies show a positive correlation between bilingualism and cognitive functions. You are able to switch between languages and able to think in more than just one way. You can have thoughts in more than one language, more than one way, which allows you to multiple thought patterns and explanations. You will be able to communicate with a larger population of people from all around the world. To be bilingual is an invaluable skill that will also benefit you in the workplace. Employers like to look for employees who are bilingual, as it is a diverse and beneficial skill that not many people have.

I encourage everyone to try and learn a new language. It will take time and dedication, but there are countless benefits. You will be able to communicate with more people, think in new ways, and learn and express yourself in more than one context. Moreover, you will be able to speak, read, write, and listen in more than one language. There are so many languages to choose from, so choose one that interests you and one that you will enjoy learning. It will be challenging, but it will be ever-so rewarding.