What I Wish For My Little Sister

What I Wish For My Little Sister

To my little sister..

27
What I Wish For My Little Sister
Delanie Donovan

Even on the days she drives me absolutely crazy, I love her to death.

I want my little sister to know that she is beautiful just the way she is. I know how difficult it can be, especially as a young girl, to get caught up in the fads and believe the lies that try to convince us that we aren't pretty or skinny enough. I pray she knows that beauty is more than surface level- I hope she has seen how a beautiful heart can reflect to the outside.

I hope she has the biggest, wildest dreams. Nothing is off-limits to her. I hope she chases her dreams and doesn't take no for an answer.

I want my little sister to understand that competition is good. Obviously at this point, there's not doubt in my mind she has learned this with three older brothers! Being pushed past your comfort level is so essential to growing in your potential.

I want my little sister to love, and love hard. I think a lot of girls are scared to have their heart broken, so they shut down instead of open up. That being said, I hope she loves wisely. I hope she falls in love with herself before she falls in love with a guy. Anyone can say the right thing, but it's their actions and their hearts that are really going to prove to her that they are sincere.

I hope my sister knows that even though Dad and the boys make fun of her, they do it only out of love. Lord knows they've embarrassed me more times than I can count, but they really do have good intentions.

I hope she finds inspiration in something-be it a song, a poem, a painting- whatever it is, that whenever she sees or hears it, she stops and is able to lose herself in it. I hope she can look to that inspiration as a way to collect herself again when things get tough.

I hope my sister sticks to her values. I hope she confidently lives her beliefs instead of dropping them to jump on the bandwagon.

I hope my sister knows that it is okay to fail. Failure teaches us how to stand back up and start over, reevaluate the situation and find a way to make it better next time. Besides, when God closes a door, he opens a window.

I hope my sister knows it is okay to say no and walk away. If the girls are being mean, it's okay to walk away. If the boy only likes her for her body and not her heart, it's best to walk away. I hope she recognizes her worth as priceless.

I hope she finds someone who treasures her heart, someone who pursues her.

I hope her friends care about her the way a sister should-someone to hold her hand when she's sad, someone to sing and dance with on Saturday mornings in their pajamas. She deserves friends who talk with her, not at or about her. They should make her laugh until she cries, not just make her cry. They should challenge and encourage her.

I hope my sister embraces the small victories and finds joy in the little things life throws her way. A celebratory victory dance is always appropriate in my opinion.

I wish this and so much more for my little sister. I hope she becomes everything she wants and then some.