Wisdom: How We Can All Learn From Each Other

734
Abbey Dickhudt

Wisdom is not something that just one type of person has –– we all have it. It is held in the way you prepare your cereal because you have learned in your life the best way to prepare it. Wisdom is held in the way you interact with others because you have learned how to best treat others and laugh with them. Wisdom is in every small part of your day, and it is held in every big decision you have to make. Wisdom is something you have learned by living your life.

What I believe is really important to learn about wisdom, other than that we all have it, is that we all have a very diverse range of personal wisdom. With different backgrounds, experiences, and decisions, we’ve all gained so much different wisdom. One of the coolest things that happens with wisdom is that we share it with each other.

Three general ways to share wisdom are through discussion, art, and storytelling.

Coming back to school has meant an increase in the amount of discussions and debates I have been around and involved in. With a healthy and inclusive discussion, a lot of wisdom can be shared and learned by each party in the discussion. It is not always the facts and figures that are taken away from the discussion, but it is what you learn about the other person. You learn how they might differ in how they see the topic, or how they perceive and judge the world.

Each debate and discussion, if it is moving forward, should encourage this curiosity about others and respect for their views.

Through exploring and looking at different types of art, I have not only learned a new skill, but I have broadened my view on what art really includes. Just the other week in town, we were able to stop by and make our own steamroll print. It was awkward at first, trying to create a piece with having only minimal knowledge of what we were doing. But through asking questions from the artist on sight and trying new things, we were able to come out of there with some really great pieces.

I may even have to go and make another print. It may be my calling to the art world.

It is through these different types of artistic expression that many people are able to share their creativity, knowledge, and wisdom with others. I find it to be so amazing when others are able to create wonderful pieces of art. It is also amazing when they are willing to help others create art and create another expression of sharing wisdom.

Then there is storytelling. Just like discussions and art, the way wisdom is shared through storytelling can be so broad and diverse. From highlighting what has happened throughout your day to sharing a story of a legend, there is wisdom shared.

Wisdom is everywhere, and everyone has so much of it to share. Don’t be afraid to learn from others, and be open to sharing with others. It is always so awesome.