Wire's 'Pink Flag': An Alternative Look At Punk

The British band's debut gives a unique view of 1970s punk rock.

62
Rate Your Music

Punk rock was truly an interesting development of rock music in the 1970s. Coming out of a desire to bring the genre to its basics, punk brought a simple mood to music. The punk scene of the 1970s was full of passionate bands that dared to be loud and raw, and the genre led to genuine experimentation as well. From crafting seven minute songs to incorporating elements of free jazz, numerous bands gave different views of what it meant to be punk. The genre can be interpreted in so many ways, and one album that dismantles punk is Wire's 1977 debut 'Pink Flag'.

When 'Pink Flag' was released, it stood out for its curt nature. Taking the brevity and speed of punk rock to extreme levels, 'Pink Flag' truly stressed the stripped down ethos of punk. Most of its songs are over in about one to two minutes, and they progress at a blindingly fast rate. 'Pink Flag' moves like the snap of a finger, and it flies by so quickly that you barely have time to process it. The brief nature of 'Pink Flag' makes it into a breathless listen, as it becomes a wonderfully abrupt venture. 'Pink Flag' refuses to overstay its welcome, and its economic approach to songwriting makes one excited to listen to it. Wire shows how they can bring a song down to its bare essentials, and Its furious bursts of energy bring vitality into the world.

Wire also presents an odd interpretation of punk rock. The style of 'Pink Flag' is so straightforward that it develops a tongue in cheek feel, and it almost feels like Wire pokes fun at punk. 'Pink Flag' shows off the inherent absurdity of playing short songs, and it also deviates from the punk formula in many ways. 'Pink Flag' is played at a slower and more methodical pace than contemporaries such as the Ramones and the Sex Pistols, and Wire finds a way to emphasize solid musicianship over simply playing fast. Wire has an art school mentality to rock music, and their diversions from the genre marked a new era in punk. 'Pink Flag' is an excellent subversion of punk, and it shows how humor and cleverness can be found in a simple genre.

Outstanding guitars add a brutal intelligence to 'Pink Flag', as well. The heavily distorted riffs are played with a punchy sound to them, and the coarse guitars are offset by their unrepentant aura. Even though the guitars of 'Pink Flag' are played with the force of a brick, they also have sophistication to them. Wire introduces a practical method to punk, as the powerful guitars are thoughtful in their brooding nature. Plodding riffs are packed with melodic sections, and 'Pink Flag' occasionally has bizarre sounds that infiltrate the guitars. 'Pink Flag' mixes intensity with poise, and its guitar work demonstrates that punk does not always need velocity to be effective.

Overall, 'Pink Flag' is a fantastic album. Its short length leads to an endlessly inventive album, and its quick nature gives a refreshing look at music as a whole. 'Pink Flag' makes fun of punk with its candid attitude, and its farcical nature shows the silliness of short songs. 'Pink Flag' also features experimentation with its focus on musicianship, and its unconventional approach was a step forward for punk. The album's guitars are tough, yet sophisticated, and their fierceness combines with outright finesse. 'Pink Flag' is a great effort, and its uncommon look at 1970s punk rock demonstrates the unique capabilities of the genre.