Wiping Away My Makeup

Wiping Away My Makeup

I stopped wearing makeup for five days and this was my experience.

20
Wiping Away My Makeup
In The Frow

I've been wearing makeup since middle school. It started with a little bit of mascara here and a little bit of blush there. Now it has evolved into a full face of makeup complete with filling in my eyebrows and lining my lips. (Just kidding, I don't know how to use lip liner.) My point is that it has become an extremely regular part of my routine. So regular, in fact, that I can do a full face of makeup in roughly 20 minutes. (Depending on how long I've overslept.) My routine isn't anything fancy, just the typical combination of foundation, bronzer, blush, eyeliner, mascara, and filled in eyebrows. Sometimes, I like to make it whimsical and dabble into the world of eye shadow. I'm not a makeup expert by any means, but I know what works for me.

Roughly a week ago after I wiped away my days makeup, I looked at my skin and realized I was breaking out more than normal. There a number of different causes to why I normally breakout; menstrual cycle, greasy foods, new perfume, my skin just chose to rebel that day, etc. None of the typical reasons were applicable to my situation. This left me with only one other possibility - my makeup. My skin was telling me I needed a break. So, I decided to put away my makeup for the past five days.

Now, I know what you're thinking - five days doesn't sound that difficult. And you're right. It doesn't sound that difficult. In fact, every summer for weeks on end, I put my makeup away and just wear a moisturizer while I'm away counseling at camp. So five days is nothing. Right?

Wrong.

Let's start with day one - Monday, February 20th. I started my day like any other, I slept through all of my alarms and was running late for work at the bridal shop. After the tedious task of picking out what outfit I was going to wear, I was finally out of the house and headed towards work. Once I reached the parking lot, I hesitated getting out of the car. I was suddenly very aware of all of my blemishes. I felt embarrassed and I hadn't even stepped out of my car.

After a mini pep talk that consisted of reminded myself that I get paid to sell wedding dresses not makeup, I got out of the car and scurried in the building. It took about ten minutes for someone to say "Dani, are you feeling okay? You look sick". I was mortified, but I shrugged it off and said "I'm fine, just taking a break from makeup". And that was that. No one else said anything. Fast forward several hours, work was over. Now it was time for class. I wasn't nervous for class. At all. It was just my film class that meets in a dark theatre, no one is going to say anything. And I was right. No one mentioned anything because no one cared. I survived day one!

Day two- Tuesday, February 21st

I found day two to be a lot easier than day one. I woke up and didn't have to rush because all I had to do was brush my teeth and put some clothes on. My morning class went by smoothly - no one said anything and I actually listened to the professors! Now I was on my way to work at the shoe store. (Yes, I have two jobs. Yes, I go to school full time. No, I don't have a social life.) Work at the shoe store was fine. My coworkers didn't say a word, neither did my customers. All in all, day two was great!

Day three - Wednesday, February 22nd

Ugh, okay. Day three was awful. I looked horrific and I felt horrific. I hauled myself out of bed and dragged myself to the bridal shop for another day of work. The bridal shop is almost entirely mirrors, it's impossible to walk around in there without seeing your reflection. So when you are rocking bags under your eyes and Mount Vesuvius is about to erupt on the side of your nose, your self confidence plummets to the ground. Don't let the smile in the picture fool you, I hated every second of Wednesday. All I wanted to do was go home and hide in my room. Which is exactly what I did after work.

Day 4 - Thursday, February 23rd

Alright, I was diggin' myself on Thursday. I went to class and felt confident as heck. Next was work at the shoe store and I can honestly say I felt good. Thursday was when I accepted the discoveries I was making about my skin. For example, even without makeup I have really oily skin (thanks, dad). I think what really made Thursday my favorite day was that my hair worked with my lack of makeup. I went with a sporty high bun and a headband and basically conquered the day. Two thumbs up for Thursday!

Day five - Friday, February 24th

This picture was taken after my doctors appointment and generally reflects how I feel. Going out to somewhere that wasn't either of my jobs or school without makeup was incredibly intimidating. I felt bashful and young. THE RECEPTIONIST EVEN QUESTIONED IF I WAS OLD ENOUGH TO BE THERE WITHOUT A PARENT. Friday was rough. But it's the last day and I was very thankful.

So here I am, I just spent the past five days without makeup during my everyday life. There some definite cons. I felt very self aware and gross. I mean, I still bathed and cleansed my skin. (Also not filling my eyebrows in was absolute torture.) But no matter what, I felt gross. People also looked at me different in certain situations depending on the rest of my attire. When I played into the sporty look, no one paid any attention. But when I was dressed up for work, I received a lot of double takes and looks of pity. I also didn't feel the need to dress up with my face being bare. However, while this experience had its cons, it also had its pros. I learned more about my skin and how I need to care for it. I also learned I can feel confident and vivacious without makeup. My biggest take away, however, was the admiration I accumulated for anyone who feels confident in their skin. I'm still not there yet. I still feel embarrassed about things that naturally occur on my body - like acne. Most people experience acne at some point in their lives, yet our society shames it. Everyone gets pimples. Everyone who eats a greasy piece of delicious cheese pizza and touches there face without washing their hands will get a mini volcano on their chin. That's just life. This week taught me to that my bare skin isn't something to be ashamed of.

Although, I'm going to be honest, putting makeup on again was really fun! I thoroughly enjoy the process. Plus I'm addicted to lipsticks and a Sephora VIB member. (It's not an addiction. I can stop when I want.)

Wear makeup or don't wear makeup. Just don't let either of those choices defy who you are. Beauty is in your personality, not in what you put on your face or on your body. Just be a good person, the rest is just gravy!

Thanks for reading!