Winter's Demon Brother

Winter's Demon Brother

I hate fall with a passion.

6
Winter's Demon Brother
Deviant Art

I think I have officially decided that fall is my least favorite season. Everything about it is just so sad, gross, and awful. Even just the name is a source of my dislike; the fact that one can call it either ‘fall’ or ‘autumn’ is irritating to me since no other season is given two names despite the fact that I find all of the others to be more worthy of that honor. It is disappointing because of the fact that a nice word like ‘autumn’ is wasted on such a time of the year, but the alternative is the word ‘fall’, which is stupid too because it is just called that because of the fact that leaves fall down. Everything is dead or dying, and the season is characterized by its signature scent of widespread decay. How can anyone appreciate this time of year?
All of the happy, alive, green trees lose their leaves, and it is so sad to see them all bare. And then, there inevitably are dirty, brown, sad, torn, trampled leaves all over the place – a ridiculous, disgusting number of them covering everything and piling up all around. Autumn is also made up of bipolar weather – some days are warm, but every one of those days are a tease because most of the time it is like a sort of pre-winter out. All this does is remind each of us that fall’s apathetic demon-brother, winter, is coming sooner than we thought. And the hellish, gale force winds blowing around all of the fallen leaves, which inevitably get wet and slippery, make venturing out into the world that much more depressing and dangerous.
I also have a list of far more petty things I hate about fall, which includes the fact that everything comes infused with the scent of either cinnamon or pumpkin (both of which I cannot stand), the fact that everyone has to start wearing coats and socks all the time, and the fact that I am forced to eat large amounts of a bunch of foods I do not even like for Thanksgiving dinner twice.
And yes, I do know that I called winter ‘fall’s apathetic demon-brother’, so I cannot pretend that I like winter much better than I like fall, but still I do. With winter, at least you know where you stand. It is always cold, it is always snowy, it is always gross, and that is just how it is. You either love it or you hate it, and I fall under the latter category. However, I pretty much LOATHE fall.
As far as I am concerned, spring in the best season because it truly is the light at the end of the tunnel – the hell that is winter is finally coming to a close, and a beautiful period of greenness and new life is ushered in along with warming temperatures and the calm breeze. I love nothing more than to be able to see all of the flowers and the butterflies and the leaves on the trees returning as the days grow longer and the colors come back. I love the smell of flowers, particularly tulips, and of course I enjoy being able to sit outside or take a nice walk without a coat.
I know I sound completely over-dramatic with all of the things I said, but I really do mean it all.