The Winter Is The Absolute Worst, And Here's Why
Life Stages

The Winter Is The Absolute Worst, But We Can Thank Sickness And Finals For That

This one's for all my summer-loving friends.

19

For someone who was born and raised in the North, I would naturally love the cold weather, right?

To be fair, the "cold weather" in Atlanta is probably the maximum temperature in places like New York or Philadelphia. But, still. How do people stand the cold? First of all, it is SO ridiculously easy to get sick. Especially for someone with a weak immune system (like me!), getting sick every other week and numb fingers/toes from the windchill and freezing temperatures is a hard pass. My previously dry skin dries even further, my teeth practically chip while chattering, my nose is always running. I practically live in the same sweatshirt. On the bright side, at least winter is home to one of my favorite things- sweaters and cozy blankets. But then again, as soon as you leave the warmth of your bed, you're immediately greeted by a chill. Trying to get out of the shower? Enjoy stepping out into Iceland. Even your towel can't save you,

Even worse is wearing layers upon layers upon layers upon layers upon... yes, layers. The temperature inconsistency is always a huge struggle. I wear like 7 layers of clothing because it's like 7 degrees outside, but the moment I step inside it's practically scorching. Then comes the process of stripping all the coats and scarves and jackets and before you know it you're hauling around Burlington.

But, winter does compensate by hosting everyone's favorite holiday! Yep, you guessed it. The self-named "everyone lacks motivation and wants to sleep at like 5:30 because it gets dark so early which is especially not good with finals around the corner but the getting early dark makes you soooo tired."

However, I will cut winter some slack; it does host everyone's actual favorite holiday- Christmas. However, it doesn't help much when your family doesn't celebrate it and Christmas is just another regular old day. And with Christmas comes the dread of Christmas shopping- not wanting to get a terrible gift the receiver won't like or just being too broke in general to afford the expensive gifts you want to buy. But for those that do celebrate it, Christmas really does compensate for all the other terrors of the winter.

Except maybe Starbucks. It's a universal fact that the cold drinks at Starbucks are much, much, MUCH, better than the hot drinks. But then again, how would you even drive to Starbucks when your car is practically made of ice? Driving in the cold, especially when the roads ice over or when it snows is by far one of the scariest experiences. Having a grasp on the steering wheel is practically impossible. Of course, you could always start the car early... if you want your gas bill to be off the charts.

To be fair, winter probably isn't as bad as I make it out to be. However, when looking back at the sickness, torturous finals, necessity of layers, and so much more, all I can do is wrap myself up in my fuzzy blankets and pray that spring/summer is approaching.