How To Survive Winter When Your Heart Is Stuck On Summer

The winter guide for the one who cannot let go of summer.

245

I never understood the ideology of winter “lovers.” While three feet deep in a snowbank trying to make it to the front door, legs completely frozen and new jeans soaked, the few tears trickling down my face always remind me that I am not a winter person, and should not live in the northeast.

Throughout these long, never awaited winter days, the idea of summer constantly arrises to push me further and further into hibernation—just about. This is when Pinterest-style book nooks and cute hot chocolate recipes come into play to make sure this hibernation process is at least Instagram worthy.

I would walk into high school each day, and the small 100-or-so feet from my car to the entrance felt like a mile. In the literal tundra, I would cry—lots, as I’d run gracefully up the stairs to the door—wiping away the tears that were fueled by the freezing cold.

Let’s just say, it’s now mid-November and my first year away from home in Syracuse, NY, and I’ve already cried from the cold, twice. Throughout my nineteen years as an avid summer lover, I’ve developed these tips which will help your winter become somewhat more bearable.

1. Let’s start with Pinterest

Baring with some of the gruesome aspects of winter involves developing effective coping skills! These skills, being crafts and inspiration from Pinterest, will completely shift your focus from muddy snow and freezing hands for at least a few hours.

One of my favorite things to do in the winter is head over to Pinterest, with the main topic search being “Winter Organization Tips” or “Festive Winter Room Decor Ideas.” If I’m feeling extra spirited, I’ll even search “DIY Festive Hot Chocolate” or, my favorite, “Winter Spa Night Ideas.” While getting deeper into the spirit of wintertime, you’ll soon begin to accept the fact that, although freezing, winter has some amazing aesthetics!

2. Take advantage of winter fashion

Yayyyy! The topic I’ve been dying to talk about. Winter fashion is the absolute best. You can agree or disagree however much you’d like, but it’s the best. How nice is it to dress in a cute fall outfit with a huge, extra puffy coat to make yourself look that much more exquisite.

Winter is such a fun season to play with your style and look outrageous in a ginormous coat that color coordinates with the rest of your outfit. Jeans can also, in my opinion, look more put-together than shorts do, so being able to dress in jeans and a warm sweater every day is amazing. Oh, and the warm socks. Can’t forget the socks.

3. Start loving the mall — or uncover even more of a love for the mall (it’s warm).

Honestly, the mall is my go-to destination throughout any season, but shopping during the winter is my favorite thing to do. I love driving to the mall with the heat blasting, to enter a warm mall where I can shop the day away with an amazing excuse. The excuse, being the fact it’s too cold to do anything else outdoors. Mall days during winter usually turn into an entire day ideal, which is only everything I ever want.

4. Discover the photography that comes with winter

One of my best friends at college knows how important winter photography is to me. I get so excited for winter for the single reason of photos of myself with a cute outfit and snowy background.

This friend from college has probably taken 50 pictures of me since the snow began to fall, which happens to have been last Friday, I believe. Approximately three days calls for three days of opportunities for winter photos! Winter photos are the cutest, so try to fall in love with them just as much I do. Maybe it’ll make you appreciate an extra aspect of winter. Maybe?

5. Decorate!

Last night I finally situated my winter lights to string throughout my college dorm, just to realize how much more I want. Winter decorations are so warm and cozy and accompany productive study sessions and aesthetic photos. Get some cozy red blankets, white string lights, and cute winter desk decorations and your set.

6. Buy the warmest winter clothes

Make sure to bundle up! I’ll be the first to admit I’m awful at dressing for the seasons. I love wearing my “fashion coats” which do just about no good during snowfall, but hey, they look good! One thing I’ll be sure to do this year, as Syracuse is much colder than my hometown in Maine, is choosing comfort over fashion. Actually, we all know I’d never do that. Let’s say I’ll balance it out, with a cute coat which is also extremely warm.

7. Try to listen to holiday music as late as possible. It’ll make winter seem somewhat shorter

For the past few years I’ve tried to avoid holiday carols for as long as I can, as I try to avoid accepting that winter is on its way, and how close the holiday season really is. Stepping into a winter wonderland, as we know, is not my favorite thing—and holiday music does its job too well at reminding me of it. The “Today’s Hits” playlist will stay on constant repeat until about late December, I’d say. Avoidance is key for us summer lovers.

8. Get a spray tan!

What’s better to keep the thoughts of summer around than a nice tan? I love getting spray tans in the winter, as it helps me cope with the fact that my life isn’t completely revolving around winter's schedule. By having a nice glow to my skin in a time where tanning is nearly impossible, it lets at least one summer characteristic remain as the winter blizzards carry on. Also, notice I said spray tan! Please don’t tan with artificial light—it’s awful for your skin! Once again with my skin care tips. But, really. Protect your skin!

9. Holiday drinks—of course!

We all could guess this is one thing I love about winter. Speaking of, I just downed my Caramel Brulée Frappuccino—my absolute favorite Starbucks frappuccino ever. Remember, although winter brings some freezing, disappointing attributes, holiday drinks and coffees will always remain—and Starbucks will always have us covered. Now, prance over to the coffee shop and grab yourself a treat. We both deserve it.

10. Wear SPF

This might seem silly, but remember to still wear SPF! Every morning, throughout the entire year, I make sure to moisturize with an SPF-50 moisturizer every single morning. This is one rule you must follow. Snow reflects the sun, so please keep your skin youthful and healthy. This will help you not only survive winter, but survive throughout the rest of your healthy life with healthy skin.

And Remember: Convince yourself you’ll be fine. We’ll get through this together, with our chunky coats and holiday drinks in hand—always!