Relationship dealbreakers
relationships

Winning Over my Family Is a Relationship Dealbreaker, So Buckle Up and Enjoy The Ride

No one said it would be pretty.

110

Within any relationship, there comes a point when it's time to meet each other's family. Some people dread the day they have to introduce their significant other to their family, but me? I couldn't wait.

Family is a huge part of my life, and whoever comes into my life has to accept that. My family, both immediate and extended, has done a great deal in shaping me into the person I am today. For that, I owe them a tremendous amount of respect and gratitude. Not to mention, I think they're pretty cool, too. So, it's a given that the person I date has to feel the same way.

I have to admit, I got pretty lucky. My family is welcoming, yet intimidating enough to scare away the ones who aren't worth keeping around. Sure, you may feel intimidated by their *occasional* obnoxious tendencies, but you'll grow to love them just like I do.

If you can make it past the initial encounter, congrats; you're in. Take this with a grain of salt, because you'll now be expected to attend every family Christmas, barbeque, wedding, or whatever other shenanigans we can come up with. You'll soon come to realize that as long as you treat me right, they'll welcome you with open arms.

Having a close-knit family is something I wouldn't trade for the world. My family is a model of what I envision for our future together as we grow older and that's why I hold them so close to my heart. Their opinions matter to me because I know they're looking out for my best interest and I couldn't ask for anything better.

I never said it would be easy to fit in with us or win them over right away, but I can tell you it will be worth it.