Will You Participate In This Year's Annual Purge?

The great deal of harm an annual purge would place upon the United States of America is inevitable.

88
Waves Newspaper

Thriller films currently being released are just not impressive anymore due to the same overused plot; there is a psychotic killer on the loose and everyone is in fear for their lives. However, there is one popular thriller film in particular that stands out and has sparked questions concerning the future of the United States of America. Most people are familiar with "The Purge,"directed by James DeMonaco, but for those who are not, it is a movie based around the idea that beginning in the early 2020s, U.S. citizens will be experiencing their first annual purge. A purge being a 12-hour period conducted annually where all crimes are legal, including murder. The purpose of this is to help with population control, lowering the current crime rate, improving the human race and reducing the rising unemployment rate.

There are only four rules that pave the way for what will happen during this purge, and those are as follows:

1. Weapons of Class 4 and lower have been authorized for use during the Purge. All other weapons are restricted.

2. Government officials of ranking 10 have been granted immunity from the Purge and shall not be harmed.

3. Commencing at the siren, any and all crime, including murder, will be legal for 12 continuous hours.

4. Police, fire and emergency medical services will be unavailable until the next morning at 7 a.m. when the Purge concludes.

To those who have seen "The Purge" or the sequel, "The Purge: Anarchy," there is always that small group of individuals who are stranded and unprotected striving to survive those 12 crucial hours while the rest of the world is gladly participating in what is portrayed as the never-ending night of horror. This demonstrates James DeMonaco's assumption that eventually 88 percent of U.S. citizens will agree to participate in an annual purge. But, is this even a realistic claim to make?

The answer to that question is simple. No. It is not realistic whatsoever.

Why? There are many reasons why not even half of the current U.S. citizens wouldagree to participating in one night of senseless killing. For one, morals, ethics and values still do exist. Therefore, most people would not throw that all away just to seek revenge on the young lady who cut them off in traffic last week or their malevolent boss who chewed them out at work earlier for no reason at all, legal or not. Of course, this would be something similar to an annual holiday for those aspiring killers and psychopaths who currently reside in this country, but that is not the case for a whopping 88 percent of U.S. citizens.

It is not in the average human being's nature to carelessly risk their life in order to kill, either. One may be angry or vengeful towards another individual, but their own safety, as well as the safety of those close to their hearts, will always come first.

For example, throughout the first two films in "The Purge" franchise, there only seems to be a noticeably small group of people who are against the purge and do not wish to participate. In reality, there would be numerous anti-purge groups formed, which would band together on that one specific night, for sure. The streets would be completely deserted (as they are in these films), aside from the few random nuts roaming the streets looking for their next victim. Most people will not subject themselves to such vulnerability, regardless of the circumstances.

It is quite reasonable to suggest that a large amount of the United States' population would flee the country and seek residence elsewhere.

The claim that the purge would lower the crime rate is undoubtedly irrational. Now, if every crime committed was confirmed to be premeditated, then it would be accurate to suggest this idea as the truth. However, all crimes are not premeditated, only a small fraction of them are, so dedicating one night to thoughtless killings will not reduce the number of crimes being committed on a daily basis. In addition, a purge would allow all crime to be legal, no consequences, right? There is no way that every U.S. citizen will agree to rape, child molestation, murder, etc. to being legal for 12 hours.

One night would not be enough for those who do participate. The USA's government should not expect their people to purge and return to their normal lives once those dreadful 12 hours are up. The loss of a loved one would still hurt just as bad as if this purge was not in place, and revenge would still be sought after. The emotional and physical wounds from this night would linger as well.

The goal is to improve the human race, however, this would destroy it. Innocent lives would be stolen, and scum will forever walk the streets of every city in the United States of America. The brilliant mind who is carrying the cure to cancer or a new innovative invention that will change the lives of many could be killed during the purge and the U.S. then suffers a loss.

We as people should be protected from crime, not encouraged to participate in it.

On July 1, the third installment in "The Purge" franchise, "The Purge: Election Year," will finally be in theaters. This film will place more of a political standpoint on the previous installments.