I Will Not Let Overthinking Get The Best Of Me

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one remembers to turn on the light.
117

There are days when I wish there was a switch. A switch in my mind just to shut off the extra thoughts fluttering about, throwing things around that I don't necessarily need in my life. But the thing is, our mind isn't a room, and we can't just shut off the light when we are done with what we are doing, leaving it an empty room.

Our minds are always working and mine, unlike some, tends to work overtime in the thought process. Yes, we all have anxiety, but extra thoughts come into play that may not even be true. It's true that overthinking ruins you. It creates situations that are not there or play off of things that are happening, creating more stress and anxiety. It makes you worry more than you should and makes you scared in a sense.

What if this person/people don't like me?

What if I fail or failed that test?

What if I made a mistake?

The list could go on, but we all wish in these moments that we wish it was as simple as a switch.

In realizing that overthinking was doing more harm then good, I realized I wouldn't let it get the best of me.

In doing so, I realized that these thoughts of negativity have to be shut off, in some way, shape or form. It sounds cliché, but in wishing for a light switch to turn off the thoughts, I should have been wishing for a light switch to turn on to wipe away the thoughts. I realized that positivity, though it can be difficult, is really the only way to get rid of these thoughts. Whether it is music, friends, or watching a good movie, this switch can make the darkness disappear... and that is what anyone who overthinks has to remember.