Why 'Will & Grace's' Return Is What America Needs Right Now

"Honey, tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic" - Karen Walker

53
YouTube Via Will & Grace

There is no doubt that "Will & Grace" was one of television's most iconic shows, and that's why it's even more exciting that NBC has revived the show for a new generation of viewers. "Will and Grace" ran from 1998-2006 on NBC and has been ranked as the highest rated sitcom in America. There are many reasons why this show inspired many, and here are a few reasons why.

1. It Allowed For Open Gay Male Characters To Be Introduced.

With television being so tough on what is allowed to be talked about and what's not, "Will & Grace" broke down those barriers and introduced us to the wonderful characters of Will and Jack — two openly gay men. What was so great about these characters is that they are so relatable, funny, open and male. A lot of times gay men are not represented on television because people are afraid of "truth." Well, the truth is there are gay men and women all around us, and it's important that we recognize them as a part of our community.

2. Karen Walker

Need I say more? There is no doubt that Karen is one of the funniest characters on the show besides Jack. She is honest, charismatic and over the top. Everyone needs a Karen Walker in their lives.

3. They Aren't Afraid Of Honesty

What makes "Will & Grace" unique is that the comedy is bold, honest and hilarious. The show touches on subjects that other shows would never do, and I think that's what makes it unique. This is the world we live in, and it's better when you have characters that can relate to similar situations that you are going through.

4. LGBT Representation

I know I touched on it earlier, but I think it's important to note that "Will & Grace" touches on things that are affecting the LGBT community. The 90s was a time where being "gay" wasn't talked about often, and they went there with the issues affecting the characters who, indeed, are gay. Now, in 2017, where LGBT rights are on the fence, I know that this show will touch on how these issues affect their characters, in a tasteful, yet, truthful way.

5. Make America Funnier Again

We all need a good laugh with so many horrible things taking place in our country right now. We need a good half hour to just zone out and have a little fun. "Will & Grace" provides that for us. We are allowed to laugh, smile and just enjoy good television.

I am already super excited about this Thursday's episode, and I can't wait to see what else the famous foursome will be up to this season!